I fed my family real fancy for less than $10 the other night. The five of us chowed down on my recipe for Gourmet Mongolian Beef Ramen. There was even enough leftover for seconds. We’re in the middle of a kitchen renovation, so there’s little time for prepping a meal that sprawls across the countertop. And heck, fixing up a kitchen cots money (gahhh!), so we need a cheap meals right now.
Anything beyond a basic bowl of ramen should be considered gourmet, right? At least my stomachs say it is. This is totally fancy!
INGREDIENTS (serves 5-6)
- 1-lb sliced steak meat of your choice. Whatever kind of beef slab you prefer
- Mongolian Beef marinade (see instructions below)
- 5 packages beef ramen noodles
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 can beef broth (approximate)
- approx. 2-3 tablespoons flour
- approx. 2 tablespoons oil
MONGOLIAN BEEF MARINADE INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1.5 teaspoons ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste or 2 cloves crushed garlic
After you have thinly sliced your beef, place it in a bowl or ziploc baggie. Pour the prepared marinade over beef, then marinade anywhere from 15 minutes to overnight, stored in fridge. I always marinade overnight to get the flavors extra tasty ‘n stuff. It should take you less than 2 minutes to throw this marinade together.
- Begin to prepare ramen according to package directions, or as desired. We all know how to cook ramen, right?
- Drain excess liquid marinade from beef, set liquid aside.
- Add approximately 2 tablespoons flour, or enough to fully coat the meat, then mix well.
- While ramen continues to cook, add oil to pan and heat until hot.
- Add meat to the pan and cook. Feel free to add any amount of marinade back into the pan as desired.
- Drain cooked noodles, then add back to your pot.
- Add the ramen flavor packets and beef broth to noodles in desired amount, and mix well.
- Transfer noodles to each servings bowl, then top with beef and green onions
- Now CHEW
It’s pretty much sinister for something this easy & delicious to cost less than $10 and be an instant hit with the family. Keep this one on your list of easy family dinner ideas! Now excuse me. I have to burp.