My left eyeball almost fell out when I saw a few of the butternut squash soup recipes on the Interwebs. Some of them call for ingredients like margarine, heavy cream, and even cream cheese. Say what!? Cooking times were also ridiculously long. Since I like to be lazy, yet stay fit, I cannot eat a high calorie soup that takes too dang long in the kitchen.
So I did what any women on the quest for a sexy bod would do: applied some healthy improvising to the situation. My version of butternut squash soup is not only tasty & low cal, it’s plenty hearty (and without dairy) for an authentic comfort food experience. If you prefer extra-heartiness, I’ve included the Food Coma Version of this soup that you will love.
EASY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP INGREDIENTS
Feeds 3 voraciously hungry people, or 5 little-bit-hungry people. Also great to pack for 3 day’s of lunches. Double all ingredients if you have extra mouths to feed.
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 cans low sodium chicken or vegetable broth (two 14.5 ounce cans)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- dashes of ginger
- dashes of pepper
- light dash of energy-boosting cayenne (optional)
- olive oil or hemp oil
- Cube the butternut squash and set aside. How to peel, seed and cut butternut squash (it’s easy).
- Saute’ the garlic and onion together in the oil until onion is translucent.
- Add both cans of broth and bring to a boil.
- Add cubed squash to the broth.
- Add all spices.
- Continue to lightly boil until squash can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Let contents of pot cool down to warm. This may take about 10-15 minutes. While you’re waiting for the cool down, use a potato masher to smash the squash to smithereens while still in the pot of broth.
- Once cooled down, transfer entire contents of pot into your blender, then blend until smooth. You may have transfer in two smaller batches, depending on the size of your blender.
- Pour soup back into pot and serve.
FOR A HEARTIER SOUP AND/OR TO INDUCE A FOOD COMA
- Add one or both of the following ingredients: cooked pieces of chicken breast and gnocchi. These ingredients should be added AFTER the soup comes out the blender. I used my Hamilton Beach Wave Blender.
- Gnaw on some easy homemade French bread and dip into the soup.
Now lemme hear ya burp two times. I insist.