Deli meat really isn’t that great for you, but there’s worse things we can gnaw on. Right? A sammich made at home or from Subway, or from some other specialty sammich shop will be tasty and is a good substitute for other food choices. Right?
Well after reading the label on some freshly-sliced meats I ordered at the deli counter, I was so appalled that my left eyeball popped out and rolled under the one of the veggie stands all the way over in the produce section. Ya, I returned the toxic meats to the deli, but I’m blogging with one eyeball right now, ya’ll. Woe is me.
PAN ROASTED TURKEY most shocking ingredients:
- Modified Food Starch: starch that is altered by chemical, enzymatic or physical means. This type of starch is typically derived from genetically modified sources. Good read: surprising list of ingredients typically made from GMO’s.
- Carrageenan: a food additive derived from seaweed. Although it has natural origins, based on studies performed on animals, it is thought to cause digestive disorders ranging from inflammation to cancer. The European Union has banned the use of carrageenan in infant formula. Here in the states, the ingredient is allowed in organic foods.
- Hydrolyzed Soy Protein: also known as “vegetable protein”, the harm done in consuming hydrolyzed soy protein is directly related to the hydrolysis process itself. During that process, MSG (an excitotoxin) is produced as a by-product. This “work-around” inclusion of MSG is not required by FDA standards to be listed on the food label.
DOMESTIC HAM most shocking ingredients:
- Corn Syrup Solids: also referred to as “corn syrup powder” or “cultured corn syrup solids”, it is the powder resulting from dried corn syrup through the process of dehydration. These solids boost the sugar content in food and contribute to poor nutrition.
- Modified Corn Starch: listed in info above for “pan roasted turkey”.
- Sodium Erythorbate: a food additive used to retain a bright color in processed meats. It’s known to cause headaches, fatigue, and dizziness, as well as digestive issues ranging from nausea and vomiting to gastritis and diarrhea. It may also cause kidney stones and bladder infections.
- Sodium Nitrite: While this ingredient is responsible for preventing the growth of foodborne botulism microbes, nitrites and nitrates are widely accepted to be the leading cancer-causing agent in cured foods.
It’s true that depending on what brand of deli meat you buy, the ingredients may differ, you pretty much see the point I’m getting at here, don’t ya? Why can’t turkey just be turkey and ham just be ham? I’m about to start roasting my own meats for sammich fixins. Maybe not all the time, but I’m gonna take a whack at it. I can no longer snag deli meat and feed my child-spawns a ham sammich with a clear conscience.
Now excuse me while I attempt to locate my missing eyeball…