So here’s the deal. Over the years I’ve tried a gazillion face care products. Haven’t we all? I had really bad acne as a teenager, but that’s stale & crusty news since I’m an old bitty now. What was going on in the past few months was my face getting all oily like an oil slick. And also these really huge painful pimples. Not this bad, but pretty close.
It’s all been very confusing, because I do eat healthy and hydrate properly. I suspect it’s hormonal due to my age. But to make matters worse, I’d pick and claw at my pimples, causing scabs and really bad scarring. Gack!
But I’m not the kind of bitty to just sit back and take it on the chin. Hormonal or not, I found a way to fight back to keep my skin healthy and feeling all fantastic ‘n stuff. And guess what ya’ll… IT’S REALLY WORKING!!
**A shout to Yum Yucky reader-pal, Melinda, who asked about my skincare routine. I’m gonna break it down for you guys right now…
1. Dove Soap: I cleanse my face twice per day with Dove. This helps to remove the main layer of grime and makes for a cleaner face when I use my 2nd face cleansing product. Dove doesn’t bother my face. I still have to do a thorough study of the ingredients, but for now, it’s what I’m using.
2. doTERRA ClearSkin Foaming Face Wash: OMG! It’s a miracle worker. This face wash is kinda pricey and the bottle is small, but there’s no going back once you’ve tried it. doTERRA Face Wash contains the essential oils of black cumin seed, rosewood, eucalyptus globulus, geramium, lemongrass and melaleuca. Try finding that powerhouse combo in a face product at your local drugstore. NOPE! This cleanser has a pleasing natural smell and is gentle on the skin. The bottle is small, but you only need two pumps of the foam. The bottle will last much longer than you might think.
- doTERRA Clear Skin Foaming Face Wash product
- doTERRA Clear Skin Foaming Face Wash Product Information Page
- introduction to essential oils
3. doTERRA Pore Reducing Toner: You might think all toners are the same, or it’s not a big deal and it’s okay to put any toner/astringent on your pretty little face, but doTERRA’s Pore Reducing Toner is da bomb! This toner contains the essential oils of lavender, ylang ylang, and german chamomile. The doTERRA people say their toner “works with cutting edge ingredients to calm sensitive skin, inhibit skin irritation, and reduce oxidative stress to skin cells”. And ya, I gotta tell ya it’s true. I can attest to their claims. My skin is feeling might-tee fine and looking good.
MOISTURIZING AND RENEWAL
1. Shea Butter: My information on African Shea Butter explains the benefits in full detail, so right here I’ll just tell you that in addition to using it on my (sexy?) body, as well as having the rest of the family use it (we threw out all other lotions), I also use the Shea Butter under my eyes. It alleviates that dried up, tired look while delivering vitamins A & E to my skin, naturally reducing inflammation, and serves as a natural sunscreen. I introduced my mother to Shea butter several months ago and it’s now the ONLY thing she will use to moisturize her face. She also uses it as an under eye cream. Do NOT use raw Shea if you have nut allergies since this stuff comes straight from the nut of the tree.
2. Fractionated Coconut Oil: Ahhh. This stuff is so nice and light. It won’t clog your pores or leave your skin greasy. This oil is many times used as a carrier oil to be mixed with other ingredients, but I use it alone to serve as my primary face moisturizer. Fractionated Coconut Oil also has both antiseptic and disinfectant properties, which obviously helps to keep the face clean and fresh. You only need 2-3 drops on the face to moisturize daily.
3. Colloidal Silver First Aid Gel: If you haven’t yet read my post on the facts and benefits of colloidal silver liquid, please read it now. Silver gel offers the same exact benefits, but it’s more useful as external remedy for it’s gel-like property, which helps it cling to the skin better than the liquid will. I used silver gel daily when I was picking at my face pimples. That picking caused my skin to be broken and sometimes bleed at the pimple site, which then led to scarring. GACK! Using the gel expedited the healing of my skin. The scarring marks are fading nicely, which I believe is due to both the silver gel and the doTERRA products.
- Sovereign Colloidal Silver First Aid Gel product (top of the line brand!)
4. Boots Total Renewal Microdermabrasion: I’ve really loved this stuff, but in the process of writing this blog post, I learned that the product contains “Paraffinum Liquidum” (mineral oil). BUMMER! I won’t be continuing to use it any longer. It’s going in the trash. I’ll find a better alternative for at-home microdermabrasion that does NOT contain toxic mineral oil, and will report back to you with what I’m using. And so the anti-mineral oil saga continues…
So there ya have it! These are the products I use and I’m thoroughly pleased. Not all of these products are cheap, but it’s worth the investment. My face is happy now. The prior inflammation was put under control, the breakouts have ceased, there’s no more oil slicks, and my face is clearing of scarring and marks very nicely.
Whether you choose to explore these products or something else, just make sure it’s a quality product that’s as close to natural as possible, and will promote the health of your skin. Happy facial-ing everybody! XO