I crawled out from the covers on Saturday morning, complete with wild bed hair and stank morning breath. And then it happened. It happened almost immediately and without hesitation. My stomachs began to quiver with longing to be back at Waffle House gobbling up the All-Star Special. In particular, I wanted those Waffle House waffles.
But alas! My mind had a genius idea. I can make these dang things at home. And can you, too. I had great success whipping up a batch of knockoff Waffle House Waffles. They taste just ohhh so delicious and are very, very close to the infamous Waffle House recipe.
Matthew was impressed. He gave these waffles an 8.5 out of 10 on the Knockoff Scale. Your belly will be full of joy if you make this. Go on. Make some for your hungry family and impress them, too. I insist.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar*
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup buttermilk (use additional half-and-half if you do not have buttermilk)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- *If you desire to use malted milk powder to the recipe, reduce the amount of sugar. For example: Instead of 1 cup sugar use ½ cup sugar + ½ cup malted milk powder. Or use ¾ cup sugar + ¼ cup malted milk powder. It's up to you.
- Combine dry ingredients in medium mixing bowl (flour, salt, baking soda) and set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine eggs, sugar, melted butter and vegetable oil.
- Add the following to the egg mixture: half-and-half, milk, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly until no longer lumpy.
- Brush preheated waffle iron with vegetable oil.
- Scoop out slightly less and ½ cup batter and pour onto the waffle iron. Use more or less batter, depending on your iron and serving preference.
- Cook waffles 2-4 minutes to your preference. Cooking times will vary depending on your waffle iron.
And after you’ve had breakfast, get your tummy ready for lunch with my Olive Garden Chicken and Gnocchi Soup recipe. Happy eating, my friend!