The Truth About How to Get a Great Pair of Legs

Before I knew the truth about how to get a great pair of legs…

meltingleg1 The Truth About How to Get a Great Pair of Legs

And then, after discovering the truth…

sledgehammer workout The Truth About How to Get a Great Pair of Legs

But what exactly is the truth?

First and foremost, you have to combat the lie.

It’s the lie that says you don’t have the body type to ever have nice legs. Your thighs are too big and you’re supposedly big-boned? Nor do you have the patience & mental fortitude for the journey. Something along those lines, right?

You have to STOP believing the lie. This is the first truth.

stretch10 The Truth About How to Get a Great Pair of Legs

…and now to embrace the second truth.

Getting your legs lean and sculpting them into sexy requires a healthy dose of patience and consistency to see the process through. If you’ve got a lot of weight to lose, getting the legs you want will seem like a gazillion light years away. Impossible, even. But please, don’t let discouragement drown out your goals.

Discouragement is a very natural, human emotion. You’re not a robot, after all. But discouragement must be managed effectively and, eventually, overcome.

Training your legs is the easy part. Belief, patience and consistency is a whole ‘nother cup of tea.

If you bust your ass all week on your fitness, then look in the mirror and barely see any leg progress — yep. There will be days like that. LOTS of days like that.

But it’s coming. A great pair of legs is on the way. You will get there. I promise. Keep on pushing forward.

In the spirit of a great pair of legs, here’s my Sledgehammer Stretch demo. It primarily targets the hamstrings, but stretches the back as well.

So tell me: do you have what it takes to get a great pair of legs?

Comments

1. Allie says:

Hot damn! Yes I do and you do too!!! I have a few other ideas for that sledgehammer as well :-)
    Allie recently posted..The Rundown – It’s Official

2. CARLA says:

AMEN TO THE CONSISTENCY!!!
    so so so true.
    CARLA recently posted..I’m doing Back to School BOOT CAMP.

3. Growing up I always thought my legs were too big, thighs too chunky. Years of cycling and running have made them stronger and more refined and over time I learned to respect them for what they can do. They will never be string bean super model legs but I wouldn’t trade mine for any others, nor would you!! We’ve worked hard to make the most of what we’ve got. (you look great!!!!)
    Cort the Sport recently posted..SAG Crew: Unsung Heroes of Supported Bike Rides

4. Patience and consistency for the win!

5. Jenny says:

I needed this reminder today!!
    Jenny recently posted..First Day of Middle School

6. YES, you got it all right – hard work & consistency!!! Things don’t happen overnight! :)

Stretching is so so so so dang important!!!!!
    Jody – Fit at 56 recently posted..You are Enough!

7. KalleyC says:

So right, hard work and constancy wins every time! Thank you for the reminder and encouragement!
    KalleyC recently posted..Sunday Prayer: Peace

8. nylse says:

How are you? I still follow your progress and yes what you say is true. I’ve been trying to get back to my shapely muscular toned track and field legs from college and I must say I can finally see the definition. All my running and weights are paying off. But that video with the sledgehammer may definitely get you some unwanted attention! ijs.
    nylse recently posted..Encouragement – We All Need It

9. That Guy... says:

Legs are the hardest things to get but once you get them they are the most satisfying to train.

For a female, legs contain approximately 65% of body meat. If a woman fails to train legs, she is ignoring 65% of her muscle mass.

For women who ignore leg training for fear of looking beefy or stalky, hint: Full range of motion with all leg movements serves the illusion of length. Notwithstanding ladies, if your legs are “beefy” it’s probably because of body fat — ehr, loosely packed muscle. Lean muscular legs look hot — all the time, and serve an increased metabolism.

End of rant..

10. Tamara says:

I believe! I believe! I have terrible legs. Don’t tell anyone.
    Tamara recently posted..You Take The Good. You Take The Bad.

Yes! I used to believe all those lies, but consistency and perseverance have paid off!
    Coco recently posted..Milestone Pod Review And Giveaway

12. “Truth?! You can’t handle the truth!” Legs Nicholson
    Oh, wait apparently you can and I am simply envious!
    KymberlyFunFit recently posted..5 Fitness Quotes That Irk Midlife Exercisers

Yep – consistency and handwork and maybe a few less Cheetos on my end!!!
    You have awesome legs!!!
    Kim recently posted..My Wake-Up Call

14. Marc says:

Whit whew! :)

15. kita says:

I never thought about my legs I am so focused on other parts but the legs are a big thing hmmm you make me want to rethink some stuff
    kita recently posted..It Begins With a Plan: 7 Steps to Completing Your Landscaping Dream

16. Debra says:

You are so right that the emotional and mental journey is as big as the physical one! Squat, smile, repeat … every leg exercise is getting me closer to the best me. There is no ‘perfect’ if your head is negative or wanting for more. I am loving your motivational posts, and your legs are awesome!
    Debra recently posted..Weight Loss Video Diary Day 22

17. Dr. J says:

This is great!! I remember years ago someone who knew me for many years telling me that I had developed myself into looking very athletic over the years. It felt good to hear that! It’s so true. People look like what they do. We can create much of what we look like, both good and not so good.

18. SkippyMom says:

BOO! Hahahahaha! Did I scare you? Thought I’d pop by and catch up on my favorite or favorites Tadpole.

You are looking AHHHMAZING dahhhling. And damn those legs. You are so right about this. I can’t wait to show Wallene when she gets home – you know how much she loves and admires you – but she wants the legs me and Squirrel have, but we’re all just built differently. She will have to work at it at a little more [on the other side of the coin Squirrel and I wouldn’t mind Wallene sharing some of her endowment with us – and there ain’t no werquing to get the girls to look better, am I right?] :D

Missed you – can’t believe the kids are so big! Where has the time gone? My gosh I am going to have to catch up, aren’t I?

Great post girlie, as usual. You never disappoint. Hugs and love! Skip