What’s the Hardest Thing In Fitness You’ve Attempted So Far?

This dang pull up bar. It is my nemesis.

pull up bar Whats the Hardest Thing In Fitness Youve Attempted So Far?

It’s the most difficult thing I’ve faced so far in fitness. Progress is slow and can easily be discouraging if I don’t keep my head on straight. Sure, I can hit a few chin ups at this point, but it ain’t a pretty sight. And no pull-ups yet… nada.

I feel like I’m 10,000 pounds of concrete cinder block when I’m hanging from this thing. Yet I’m hitting the bar every other day and will not be satisfied until I master it. Got a long road ahead, but gonna make this pull-up bar my beyotch. That’s just the way it’s gonna be..

I remember when push-ups were totally out of my league and accomplishing a handstand was just a pipe dream.

Here’s my cheesy push-up vid from 2012. I can’t believe how much my body has changed! Especially upper bod & mid-section. More proof that consistency always wins the race. icon smile Whats the Hardest Thing In Fitness Youve Attempted So Far?

So tell me: What’s hard for you right now that you almost feel like quitting, but you’re determined to continue until you master it?

Comments

1. max says:

For me I think it’s crow pose. I’ve accepted the fact that I’ll never be able to do pull ups or chin ups without my Chin Up Max, but I’m close enough to mastering crow pose to keep chasing it. Unfortunately I seem to be perpetually stuck at the point where I can hold it for 1.5 seconds before I fall down.

The strength required to accomplish some of these poses in Yoga is amazingly awesome. I think it’s time I added a few Yoga poses to my bucket list. Keep chasing that Crow Pose!

2. Exactly what I am working on right now is the hardest thing I’ve ever done in fitness…. (starting to prep for a Bikini Competition). I’m exhausted and always battling self- sabotage. It’s ridiculous. BUT I am working towards it… slowly but surely.
    Kimberly (Manifest Yourself) recently posted..Journey to Wellness: Bikini Prep

Oh yesss, I am sooooo very excited about this journey of yours. Totally watching you work your bikini magic from my couch (with a bucket of popcorn).

3. Cindy says:

Stair climbing!! I weigh 350 Lbs so each step I am power-lifting 350. When I was down to 300 I could run the stairs so that is my goal. They really should install a zip line for me to go back down the stairs. My gym have 5 stories of stairs that are a straight run from the front of the building to that back with landings on each floor. I would so much more inspired that way! I would take a slide as well.
    Cindy recently posted..Emergency Relief Fund Needed

4. Ummmm pretty much everything at CrossFit lol! I’m just starting to get my pull ups, they are definitely difficult! Snatches & overhead squats also make me kinda nervous sometimes. What do they say… you grow the most when you’re outside your comfort zone (something like that anyway), keep it up :)
    Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Our Wedding Recap Part 4: Photos in Valley Forge Park

5. Allie says:

YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Isn’t it great to have old videos so you can actually SEE the changes you have made with your body? So awesome. The hardest thing in fitness for me right now is getting a sub 19 5K. I WILL make it happen. Just not sure when?
    Allie recently posted..The Rundown – It’s Baaaccckkk!

6. Tamara says:

No, I’m totally with you here. I don’t have a lot of upper body strength. I do have lower body strength, though! And I did give birth twice. Wheee!
    Tamara recently posted..Sometimes I Don’t Give Myself Enough Credit.

7. Getting into long distance cycling. Currently training to go longer distances, climb faster, ride faster, and be a better cyclist.

Oh and I’ve lost a little over 100 pounds now. Always wanted to be either a runner or a cyclist. So I chose to be a cyclist, chose a fancy bike, and put my butt on it.

I’ve been tested mentally and physically like never before. First started out at 6 miles in June (bought my bike around June 1st) wondering how the hell I’d ever go the distances I wanted to go. Two weeks ago I cycled 73 miles in a weekend. I routinely go over 40 on any given weekend single day and 25+ on a weekday training day. I hill climb, I interval train, and I make my legs burn. And I FREAKING LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT.

17 months ago I was 305 pounds. I’m now 201. Only 45 pounds from my goal and packing on muscle in the process. And I quit smoking. So yeah, these past 17 months have been FULL of months like the ones your talking about above. But this passion that I have inside to never ever go back to that past life and the passion for the sport I’ve come to love so much…drives me to keep going.

Do what challenges you, not what makes you feel comfortable!

8. Nellie says:

My hardest feat so far is definitely training for this marathon. It’s really tough and it pushes me completely out of my comfort zone. I totes remember that video!!
    Nellie recently posted..Start a New Birthday Tradition with Elf On The Shelf! #ElfBirthday

9. Roni says:

Yoga! It’s not suppose to be hard, but when you are in the downward dog position + your weight…GRAVITY is not your friend. LOL

Great question. I can’t think of anything recent. I’ve been challenging myself with running, but not with anything drastic (running longer, running twice a day, etc.). Some of my bike rides have hills that scare me, and it’s mentally hard to face them. Something to think about after my fall races!
    Coco recently posted..Blogging By The Rules

Well, I knew that you looked awesome but that video shows just how much you have changed. And, now I know that you can knock out push-ups like no ones business!!!
    Kim recently posted..Chris is 46!

12. KalleyC says:

I would say that its the ability to actually do a complete workout without having to pick my child up in the middle of it. I try doing the stepper—I have to do it with my baby in hand (he doesn’t like me moving without him). I won’t complain though, this time won’t last long.
    KalleyC recently posted..Social Injustice: Perishing Together As Fools

13. Debra says:

Firstly, I love your ‘cheesy’ video lol! I pretty much suck at upper body strength training but you are right, consistency is the key! The hardest thing I’ve attempted is the dreaded burpee. I am going to follow your progress video to build my arm strength and be as awesome as you!
    Debra recently posted..Exercise Hacks For Busy People

14. kita says:

I am ashamed to say this but doing a sit up without help…..I use to do it when I played basketball now I can’t do it alone and it’s something I want to be able to do.
    kita recently posted..Back to school Kokoa Style

15. My wife needs to read this article :) She tells me everything is hard and that I push her too hard. She hates pushups with a passion.
    Marcus Doleman recently posted..Hello world!

Divebomber pushups and chin ups….need serious shoulder muscles for those. After treatment I’m back at square 1 and can’t do them now…but some day. Oh yes…gentlemen we can rebuild her

17. You are so right about consistency. It’s the only way I can achieve anything. I would have to say pull ups and chin ups.
    Kristina Walters @ Kris On Fitness recently posted..Reebok Fall Fitness Giveaway!

18. Siani says:

Kudos on the push ups!! And no doubt you will make that pull-up bar your beyotch…LOL

I just found your blog and love the title! I have lost over a 100lbs and still struggle to find balance with my Greedy Side. I was in the octagon with it today and unfortunately tapped out, but tomorrow is another day and I will bring the fight!

Looking forward to catching up on previous posts and what is still to come.

Cheers!
    Siani recently posted..Shut up already?!?

19. Kate says:

The hardest thing for me was to give up coffee and rice. You see I am huge rice eater and I love coffee so much. I could give up sugar, sweeteners, soda, etc but certainly not that two. But I know that these food really did very well in messing up my metabolism. The process was really hard, I had experienced serious headaches when I did caffeine withdrawal, but with courage and determination I managed to overcome it and succeed!

Caffeine withdrawal is the absolute worst kind of headaches I’ve ever had. I gave up coffee two years ago and don’t regret it. Congrats to you on the challenges you’ve overcome!