Handstand Practice (my progress so far)

80 attempts per day. 4 days per week. 6 weeks worth of work so far…

handstand practice Handstand Practice (my progress so far)

…this is what it’s taken me to find my balance upside down and achieve mere seconds of hang time on my handstands.

Much more work to be done.

I won’t be satisfied until I’m able to hold my handstand for much longer AND walk on my hands in handstand position. I began this journey by watching gymnastics tutorials on Youtube and watching Greedy Baby receive instruction in her tumbling classes.

Then, I simply began putting in work with 80 attempts per day before every workout session. Tomorrow is another day. You can catch me out back at 6am for some pre-workout handstand practice.

I refuse to entertain a hindering, self-limiting mindset from the false concept that age dictates what we can or cannot achieve. I’m 41 years old and can achieve any damn thing I set my mind to.

…so can YOU.

Comments

1. kita says:

I can’t even attempt it. When I was younger and fit I could do flips and cartwheels now not so much
    kita recently posted..Do You Spend More On A Meal Than You Spend On Marketing?

2. KalleyC says:

You go girl! I need to get my thighs together before I attempt this! It will throw my balance. I agree with you, age is only a number and it shouldn’t limit us to trying new things.
    KalleyC recently posted..For The Love of Books (A Personal Debate)

3. Simone says:

Now you make me feel guilty about the fact that I make no effort to learn how to skip, which I assume is WAY EASIER than handstands!!

You go girl…always so motivated which in turn is so inspiring:)
    Simone recently posted..So far so good

That is serious dedication – soon you will be walking around on your hands all the time!
    Kim recently posted..Some Tough Decisions

Walking around on hands is yet another traveling method for running to dessert table. I’ll take it.

5. Patty says:

That’s AWESOME girl! Way to go!
    Patty recently posted..Do I Still Want To Blog?

6. Cindy says:

I think I should make a list of achievements I want to reach. Right now I want to walk 5Km without blisters or pain or rests. Way down on my list is going to be doing cartwheels. I couldn’t even do them as a child and then hand stands and then the one handed handstand that I do in my dreams when I’m doing my Hip Hop Dancing for adoring crowds!
    Cindy recently posted..Emergency Relief Fund Needed

ha! You can accomplish all of this. Me thinks you should start by attempting some cartwheels this week.

7. LuckyMama says:

WOW!!! That’s impessive – I can barely walk on two feet much less stand (or walk!) on two hands!

You are awesome YumY! I bow at your hands!

I am also guilty of feet-clumsiness. Once broke my toe trying to walk to the kitchen for extra snacks. I suppose it serves me right?

8. Nice job badass! I can get up there, but I can’t hold it like I used to. Triathletes generally don’t work out their wrists (and that’s the strength I’m missing to do these again). I used to be able to walk full blocks and do circles forever when I was a gymnast!
    AdjustedReality recently posted..Jack’s Generic Sprint Triathlon – A Breath of Fresh Air

9. That Guy... says:

This is why God invented the word, Bitchin’….

10. How did you come to 80 as the practice number? Is Greedy Baby impressed?
    KymberlyFunFit recently posted..Nature Lovers Live Longer and Leaner

Welp, after about 80 or so my forms starts to suffer, and you know we can’t have that. I only count the decent attempts so it’s techinically more than 80.

11. HOLY CRAP!!!!! amazing!!!!!!

I can never figure out why this does not pick up my latest post until the day after.. :)

Jody – Fit at 56 recently posted..Gratitude Monday & That Dash

12. Adrienne says:

thank you, as always, for the inspiration.
    i have always wanted to be able to do this and a cartwheel too.
    i don’t even know where to begin except to work on strength but i think i just gotta get started.
    so happy for you!!!!!!
    Adrienne recently posted..7 Things To Do When The Demons Appear (plus bonus tip!)

13. yumyucky says:

Hey Adrienne. Greedy Baby couldn’t even do a cartwheel when she started tumbling class. It’s only through repeated practice that she’s improved and gone beyond that now. You can do it!!!!

Yes, i could, but i think i’ll stick to getting my pushup total higher. Handstands don’t interest me much for me, but i love watching you do it!
    mimi recently posted..Oh, that closet!

15. WOW, that’s all I can say. I’d like to be able to do a handstand, but wishes don’t make things happen, the work and effort you’ve put in make them happen!!!!
    Cort the Sport recently posted..Peaceful mind for racing

16. Cassandre says:

GIRL, you are my everything right now with doing this handstand. Awesome! i would be laid out on the floor if i even tried :)
    Cassandre recently posted..Fit Chicks in Business: City Fit Girls

17. Musu says:

Shoot, I’m not gonna keep believing the false concepts about age either! You’ve inspired me once again!
    Musu recently posted..Food for Thought Thursday

18. Tamara says:

Amazing! I’ve done one successful cartwheel in my life. Maybe a somersault or two. Um.. that’s it.
    Tamara recently posted..Breathing Room.

19. marleen says:

I’m very impressed. This is something I want to attempt one day as well. For now I am working on pull ups.
    marleen recently posted..Cycling sponsorship and training update

20. What the what??? That’s amazing Josie! You rock!
    Kristina Walters @ Kris On Fitness recently posted..St. Christopher’s Summerfest 5K Recap