Josie’s List of Workplace Emergency Survival Cache Items

An emergency survival cache at work is important. We talk a lot about fitness here, but a small cache of emergency items is important to your health. It can literally mean life or death. At the very minimum it assures you greater comfort when faced with non-ideal circumstances brought on by an emergency.

We’ve all got at least a few emergency items at home, but what if somethings happen when you’re out of the house? Let’s take a looksie at a scenario involving Susie and Harold. Which one will fare better when disaster strikes? We’ll also be looking at the items I keep in my own emergency cache…

THE SCENARIO:

Susie is an accountant. She squats, deadlift and runs marathons. Susie loves organic food and never says curse words. She also uses moist towelettes to wipe her butt. So ya, she’s pretty much a perfect human.

Harold is a carpet installer. When he gets off work, he don’t do shit. He always eats 3 donuts for breakfast and watches Girls ‘Gone Cray-Cray when his wife is out the house. It is questionable as to when Harold last showered.

Both Susie and Harold were at their jobs when a widespread meteor shower hit (or insert your favorite disaster here). It knocked out power, destroyed cars, leveled homes, released the Kraken from the deep, and created other forms of chaos. There is no going in or out of the city. There is no clean water flowing through the plumbing system and toilets are beginning to back up. Everyone has been advised to shelter in place right where they are.

Analysis of Susie’s Emergency Survival Cache (aka, stuff in her desk drawer)

• lipstick
  • one tampon
  • empty bottle of water
  • moist towelettes
  • stick of gum
  • copy of signed gym contract
  • packet of NutriSweet
  • tweezers to pick chin hairs

Analysis of Harold’s Emergency Survival Cache (stored in his work van)

• gallon of water
  • 2 ramen cup-o-noodles
  • 3 cans of tuna
  • 2 packs of cashews
  • flashlight
  • collapsible bucket
  • roll of toilet paper
  • pocket knife multi-tool
  • small first aid kit
  • change of clothes
  • mylar blanket

Who would YOU rather shelter in place with — Susie or Harold? Although the massive meteor shower scenario is unlikely, the point is, an emergency could happen any time, anywhere. It’s wise to have a bag on hand filled with key items to deal with any difficulties you may encounter.

Josie’s Emergency Survival Cache

Here is the list of items I keep on hand. The list may seem long, but these items honestly don’t take up much space. The items are kept in my car, but can easily be taken out if an emergency occurs while I’m on the job:

True story about that female urinal: Several weeks ago, after drinking tons of water before leaving the house, our car battery died in a remote area location. Yes, I was forced to use the urinal, but it was a relief to have it on hand. This may seem gross, but the urinal was able to be used inside the car (that’s the brute-honest truth) because of how it’s designed. I didn’t have to worry about peeing behind a tree with my booty hanging out, and getting residual piss droplets on my ankles or shoes. After helped arrived for the car, we went to the store and purchased a portable car battery jumper which also serves as portable battery supply since it has outlets you can plug stuff into.

I’m gonna get bossy and compel you to have emergency supplies on hand, both at work and at home, and even at your place of employment if possible. Not to be all dramatic ‘n stuff but, Stay fit. Stay healthy. Stay alive!

What items do you or will you keep in your car or at work in case of emergency?

Comments

1. Glow says:

Great list, Josie! You’re right – ya nevah know.

2. Lady Lilith says:

Nice list. I would probably have water and fruit. I know not the best but enough to keep you alive and running for the time being. If the emergency lasts long, then I am stuck so maybe a few granola bars for the long haul.

3. Saginaw Mike says:

Thanks, Josie. Am cutting and pasting your liist.

4. wow what a list! I already have some of those things at work but not everything!
    Nellie @ Brooklyn Active Mama recently posted..The Buick Verano – The Perfect Car for the Perfect Run

5. kita says:

Great list which shows that I am not prepared at all.

6. Lisa says:

I’m clearly not prepared at all for anything…..

7. It really is an important post Josie!!!!! THANK YOU!
    Jody – Fit at 56 recently posted..Gratitude Monday, Giveaway Winners, Happy Bday

I don’t want Susie’s kit – pretty lame!!
    And, no, I don’t have an emergency survival kit but I always have a large water cup with me at all times!
    Kim recently posted..Living with Guilt

While i’m not as prepared as Harold, i’m also not as complacent as Susie. Living where we do, we have to think of being prepared for hurricanes for 6 months of the year, and lots of rain the rest of the year, so we keep enough stuff around to get by for a few days.

And i’m going to look into one of those female urinals to keep in the van.
    mimi recently posted..Awww Monday: Everybody Wants To Be a Cat

10. Tamara says:

I guess I’m not as prepared as Harold! I do have protein bars at hand sometimes. Wheeee!
    No tweezers for chin hairs. Drat.
    True story. Back in my youth, I drank too much at a wedding in Long Island. I bet you thought I got drunk right? Wrong! It was a heat wave and I kept drinking water.
    Then it was time to leave. We hit Yankees game traffic coming from NYC and it was a lightning storm. There was bumper to bumper traffic and we couldn’t find a single place to stop. We had these big square vases given to us by the bride.
    Big square vases.
    WWYD?
    Tamara recently posted..It’s My SITS Day, Part 2!

11. Betty Taylor says:

It looks like you are prepared for everything. You never know when you will need all those things. It’s better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.
    Betty Taylor recently posted..Frozen Strawberry Peach Margarita #202

12. Point well taken! That is a great list! You’re right, always have emergency supplies. Poor Susie, she gonna die!
    Kristina Walters @ Kris On Fitness recently posted..Running Is Contagious

13. Allie says:

All of a sudden I’m very happy that I work from home!! And that female urinal? I don’t think I can handle that!!!
    Allie recently posted..BIG NEWS! I’m A Fly Girl

You bettah get you a female urinal. Because one day while in you’re in the car in massive traffic, and you gotta pee, you’re gonna remember this blog post. heheheeeee

14. Barbara says:

Traveling with my kids lately showed me I need to get some barf bags. Car sickness with those two, rough!

Barf bags. Good one. I do keep the collapsible bucket in the car for this, but actual barf bags is a better idea. Greedy Baby has been known to hurl due to car sickness.

Oh, you are serious, but this is important. Sadly, I am more like Susie, with a few empty water bottles, a yoga mat and spinning shoes in my car. I do have a blanket and a first aid kit somewhere ….
    Coco recently posted..Summer Vacation Reading

Stop being like Susie! You know darn well about Joseph in Egypt. He was the ultimate advocate of being preparing.

16. I would lend you Jeff for his handy skills and to paint your castle and he would be great at it, but he might be a bit like Harold up there with the ‘unsure of his last shower’. :)

I am so unprepared for anything at work, but my office is 1.5 miles from my house, so I’d just hoof it back home. But I do tend to keep instant foods at my desk — miso soup, bowls of udon soup, tea, etc. Which of course wouldn’t help me at all if we don’t have water or electricity! I’ve got lime+sea salt surface cleaner, does that help??! I’m such a Susie!

I saw a pet emergency preparedness kit setup on Pinterest one day, that was a good idea and I’m totally doing that when we get another dog. Couple gallons of water and other pet needs. I would be able to do without some things for myself for a while, but if my dog is dying of thirst it would absolutely break my heart. Makes me tear up just thinking about it!
    Jessica @ Blog-Inspired Cooking recently posted..Menu Plan: Week of July 21

17. Cindy says:

I have the female urinal more as a novelty item that I just haven’t figured out who should get it as a gift. I am good on the squatting behind the car door thing besides that’s what the big tarp is for.
    I have food for a month in the office freezer, no room for anybody else. That isn’t a survival thing I just like having options come lunch time.
    Cindy recently posted..Blueberry didn’t make the cut!

18. Carla says:

Hmmmm….I have sweet potato chips, granola, and Lysol Wipes. I’m not in much better shape than Susie.
    Carla recently posted..Making Races Fit Your Training Plan

19. Jenny says:

You had me LMAO at the “residual piss droplets”! Oh my how I can relate. I actually have ZERO emergency items in my car! I definitely should change that.
    Jenny recently posted..5 Foods I Can’t Live WITHOUT

20. That list makes me feel like I need to leave work and run to the store! And the female urinal? I would have never ever ever thought of that. I’m from the country, so I’ve had to pop a squat on far too many trees before. lol
    Kimberly (Manifest Yourself) recently posted..Women Can Do Anything!

21. Valerie says:

Gotta get me one of those female urinals for the car. I drank more than a gallon of water every day since I started increasing my fiber intake. I’ve come close to not making it after a long trip. Do you know where the rest room is in home depot?
    Valerie recently posted..The First Step To Rapid Weight Loss Requires Accountability

Yup. I’ve got the scoop on the Home Depot rest room, Lowe’s rest room, and even the best porta potty location at the park.

22. marleen says:

Wow! You are prepared but sometimes I wonder whether this is something that comes with motherhood because before I had kids, I wasn’t this prepared.
    What I have in my car: Toiletpaper, soap wash, hand lotion, wash cloth, matches, one blanket, torch, tire inflater, car battery charger, tools and car jack. When I go out, in handbag is wallet, tissues, nuts, phone, phone charger which plug into car lighter jack.
    You sure are prepared. Love it!
    marleen recently posted..Rheumatoid arthritis