Health Alerts! Spanish Flu and the Chikungunya Mosquito Virus

This is a double whammy, ya’ll. Spanish Flu-ishness and the Chikungunya Mosquito Virus is out there. Somebody needs to bitch slapped.

spanish flu Health Alerts! Spanish Flu and the Chikungunya Mosquito Virus

SPANISH FLU CRAZINESS

You know that extinct Spanish Flu virus pandemic that wiped out up to 5% of the world’s population back in 1918? Welp, scientists have now recreated that virus in a lab. I’m all for establishing National Hug a Scientist Day, but this particular group of viral-toting crazies needs to rethink what they’re doing.

It figures it’s the American scientists behind this insanity.

Their craptastic reasoning for putting all of humanity at risk, as reported by the The Independent, is “to show how easy it would be for the deadly flu strain to reemerge today.

Top 10 Facts About the 1918 Flu Pandemic

This is bad, bad news. The virus, if placed in the wrong hands (like our government), would surely be the end of the world as we know it. Sorry for playing the role of Scary Susie today, but when you consider that the original virus infected upwards of 500 million people, and killed between 50-100 million people (even reaching as far as remote Arctic locations), there’s plenty reason for us to be pissed off.

On a happy note, one interesting fact is this: During the original Spanish Flu outbreak, workers at a cinnamon factory did NOT become infected with the virus. If you plan to head out for an emergency cinnamon run to thwart this malicious malady, just forget about it. I already bought up all the cinnamons. Wiped ‘dem shelves bare. Perhaps you could try a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch instead?

CHIKUNGUNYA MOSQUITO VIRUS

((insert dreadful music of doom right here))

“A virus that causes pain so severe that patients lie groaning in bed for days has come to the Western Hemisphere,” reports NBC News. If you begin to experience symptoms such as fever, joint pain, joint swelling, muscle aches or a rash, this ain’t because you’re having your usual withdrawal symptoms from lack of desserts (or is that just me?).

It might be Chikungunyahhhh!

According to the CDC, mosquitoes carrying the virus prefer to bite in the daytime. There is no vaccine and no specified treatment. The CDC urges you to use normal measures to prevent against mosquito bites. With that said, products containing DEET are well known to be effective, yet DEET is a neurotoxin that affects the central nervous system.

If you’re hype on Avon’s Skin So Soft bug repellant, that stuff contains mineral oil, another toxin found in many beauty products.

A Better Alternative

doterra Health Alerts! Spanish Flu and the Chikungunya Mosquito VirusFor the past two years, the DEET-free, mineral oil-free alternative I’ve used for my family is doTERRA TerraShield. It’s a natural mosquito repellant made from a blend of essential oils. This product can go directly onto the skin, but since it’s concentrated, can also be diluted in a spray bottle of water. One minor drawback is the strong (yet not unpleasant) smell of essential oils that might shock your nostrils during application. But the smell fades quickly and my family has never complained. You’ll get hours of protection and won’t poison yourself with drug store mosquito products.

However you decide to protect yourself against mosquitoes this summer, be sure to step up your game and be extra vigilant with the repellant tactics. Kung Fu may also be required, especially if you don’t want to get a Chikungunya rash in weird places.

You’ve been warned! So don’t be calling me to help you fight off the Chikungunya. I caught a baby mosquito chillin’ on my leg during yesterday’s outdoor workout. I’ve got my own ‘squitoes to battle.

Comments

1. Valerie says:

I am convinced this is the year of the super bug. I can’t step onto my deck without getting attacked by a wide variety of itch-producing disease carryng insects. What’s up with that? Too much spring rain? That would explain the mosquito infestation.
    Valerie recently posted..Do You “Throw Everything At” Your Weight Loss Efforts?

You would think the terrible winter we had would’ve killed everything. At the very beginning of spring there was a mosquito on my deck that was almost twice the size of a 50 cent coin. Scared the hell outta me. And then I squashed it.

2. Tamara says:

We used to use Avon Skin-So-Soft on horses to fight against summer flies! I didn’t really know people used it for mosquitoes until recently.
    I’m terrified of the damage they can cause. Why can’t we find a way to wage war on them? I guess winter is our weak effort.
    Tamara recently posted..It’s In The Way That You Use It.

3. Cindy says:

With the ice storms and the hard winter we had in my area I have noticed the lady bugs and the spiders are missing. You would have thought the other critters would have been wiped out too.
    Cindy recently posted..Women Over 40

I suspect a momma spider delivered a brood of babies in my house. Tiny baby spiders everywhere in my house all of a sudden. Ugh.

4. Barbara says:

***runs to medicine cabinet and pops a Ceylon cinnamon capsule***

5. Allie says:

Oh dear Lord!!! I guess my only defense is going to be KUNG FU bitches!!!! Look out mosquitos and Spanish flu because IT’S ON!!!!
    Allie recently posted..Fact or Fiction? Spain Edition

I need you on my team Allie. Will you head up the KUNG FU KICK ASS MOSQUITO SQUAD? I won’t take no for an answer.

Mad scientists for real! These people are nuts.

Thanks for the DEET-free suggestion!
    mimi recently posted..(Almost) Wordless Wednesday: Proud

7. Kita says:

The what mosquito virus…..I can’t. We use to use avon when I went outside. I don’t venture out much these days I am a hermit……
    Kita recently posted..Great American Backyard Campout

National Hug a Scientist Day? Where do I sign up? :)
    I’m curious to see this summer if mosquitos want to bite my poisoned ass anymore -this chemo has to have been good for something :)

9. Saginaw Mike says:

10. Saginaw Mike says:

An alternative or supplement to coating one’s skin is foggers or better yet, those thingees that burn 3-4 hours on poles. Also, no puddles in places like empty old tires.

I love those tiki pole thingies, but I can’t carry one around if I’m out & about… or can I? Doubles as a weapon, maybe?

11. Oh crap, we are having the WORST mosquito season here ever, and I hate wearing repellant, so I had kind or resigned myself to being bitten, since I don’t much react anymore the bites.

Now there’s some creepy virus? I may have to investigate your bug spray stuff, though sprays never seem to dissuade the damn critters when I use them, even the toxic high-powered deet ones. I must have some delicious smelling blood or something.
    crabby mcslacker recently posted..What Exercise Doesn’t Suck as Much as You Think it Will?

My hubs also has delicious blood. Are ya’ll related? If I forget to spray even one uncovered, tiny space of his bawwwdy, the mosquito critters bite in that particular location.

12. Leslie says:

I have like 7 mosquito bites on me right now!!! Not fun at all. I love summer for swimming and well that is about it. I hate the heat.
    Leslie recently posted..Thursday Non-Scale Victories and Being Brave Day 4

Yup. I hate the heat, too. But I also hate the cold. Where on Earth can the weather satisfy 365 day a year? I want to go there!

13. Dr. J says:

Hey, those scientists are just doing what much of society is doing to the planet now.

I’m thinking of buying up the world’s supply of Cinnabuns!! lol!
    Dr. J recently posted..Evolution explains what a facial surgeon observes: Men are built to take punches

14. Cassandre says:

I heard about the mosquito virus the other day on NPR. Last year I started using a bug repellent brand called EcoSmart that I really liked.. It’s chemical free and didn’t have a bad scent. The bug struggle is real this summer :-( thanks for the info
    Cassandre recently posted..Summer is Here and so is Chub Rub Season