The Superpower You Can Actually Achieve

I saw this on Twitter. It totally changed my perspective on self-control.

self control The Superpower You Can Actually Achieve

Diligence. Discipline. Self-Control.

On the surface they seem like qualities that allow us, at their leisure, to master them for a little while.

And then what?

We mess up. Slip up. Fall face down in the muck & mud of screw ups. Diligence, Discipline and Self-Control have once again taken back their power as we scratch & claw to (hopefully) wield them once more.

It’s an ugly cycle, isn’t it?

But here’s the real truth about that…

As you purpose to grow in these superpower qualities, a little screw up here and there is merely a hiccup. It’s a bump in the road that can’t seriously threaten you. Just shake it off and keep on movin’. Because you know who you are. You know what you’re capable of. You get shit done.

When you have a track record of badassery it’s a sure bet that Diligence, Discipline and Self-Control have pretty much been confirmed in your life, so don’t sweat the mess ups.

If you feel you’re not there yet, don’t worry. Just like many things in life, these are skills to be practiced, worked on repeatedly and eventually mastered over the course of time. They are not matters of instant gratification. Patience is required.

You’re not the type of person to be tossed to & fro by the whims of life and whatever it hands you. Get the real perspective on who is in charge.

Who’s running the show? Take a look in the mirror. That person is YOU.

Comments

Mastering anything in life is a matter of gaining control of the person in the mirror.
    mimi recently posted..Photo-Finish Friday: Lizard Love

2. Allie says:

OMG I absolutely friggin love this!!! Thank you for changing my perspective and realizing the powers I have!!!
    Allie recently posted..Race Crisis!

3. Valerie says:

Lately I’m really getting that our health is much more controllable than I thought. I’m reading this hard-to-read what-seems-like-a-medical-textbook (The Disease Delusion) by the father of “functional medicine.”

Dr. Bland claims that genetic expression is majorly influenced by diet, lifestyle, and environment. Thank you God – I’m not forever doomed by thoughts about my father’s colon cancer and my mother’s kidney failure.

Yup – We ARE in charge of our health and wellness.

Dr. Bland’s name made me giggle, but this is interesting thinking which I tend to believe. Thanks for sharing!

4. Love all of this, but I love that it applies to all areas of our lives too.
    Nellie @ Brooklyn Active Mama recently posted..Friday Fitness Check-in: Motivation On The Rocks, Low Carb Fail + Exciting News!

5. GiGi Eats says:

I AM SUPERHUMAN… MY SELF CONTROL IS OFF THE CHARTS!!!!! Well…… Except when it comes to ONE THING. LMFAO
    GiGi Eats recently posted..Exclusive Invite to the Party of the Summer

6. Julie says:

Um, did you write this for me? I really needed to read this today. As always, Josie, YOU are an amazing inspiration. Thank you !!!!

Love this and definitely self-control is the best super power to have!!
    Kim recently posted..Friday Deserves Some Laughs!

8. It’s all about how we think. I often can say no to sweets, and then sometimes I can’t. I do my best not to beat myself during those times.

9. Cool beans.

10. This was right on time! I’m trying to get this IF right and lord knows I have been hungry and I had some m&m’s. Mainly my problem is wanting to see major results especially after the months of hard work I have been doing. Sometimes I slip up and then I’m hard on myself not thinking that I have been putting in major work. Thank you girl for the reminder!
    Niekka McDonald recently posted..Stressful Situation Revisited…..

11. LuckyMama says:

You are so freaking awesome! Love this post – really does put shit in perspective – and “shit” is what it is when we get bogged down with the negative stuff.

Badassery – my new favorite word!

This is so very true. Once I get the Ok to ease back into fitness it is this kind of attitude that will keep me strong and healthy and help me rebuild my strength.
    Thanks for the reminder!

13. Mark says:

Great post. It’s all about the small steps we take today that lead to the large changes of tomorrow.
    Mark recently posted..How I Got My Abs To Show

14. YUP & choices – choices to just move on if you made a “mistake”.. which is not the best word but you get what I mean.. we just move on! :)
    Jody – Fit at 56 recently posted..Blog News; Me News; Random Rant, ;)

15. StarvingDiva says:

Gosh so true. Sometimes I am so in control of myself, I’m dedicated, not even a stop at a favorite restaurant can deter me and then other times, a loaf of bread on the counter can fall me. I need to stop being my own worse critic.
    StarvingDiva recently posted..Chinese Torture and Another Birthday in the Tank

16. Aqiyl Aniys says:

I am actually working on bending a spoon with my mind. “There is no mind.” Bahahahahahah
    Aqiyl Aniys recently posted..Vitamin D From The Sun: Darker Skin Needs More Sun Exposure To Make The Optimal Level

17. blackhuff says:

I love the power of Self control. It makes me feel like a super hero. I try to teach this to everyone I know as well.
    blackhuff recently posted..Cycling to and from gym

18. Dr. J says:

Nice!!

19. cursor says:

The best way to be useful in any fields is to be in total control of yourself and be focused no matter the level of distractions that might come in.
    cursor recently posted..How To Boost Low Energy Level