Expectations and accountability.

squat Expectations and accountability.

We expect our children to behave.

We expect our employers to pay us on time.

When we purchase a product it better damn well function as advertised.

All day long you have certain expectations of people and things. You hold them to a standard. Hell will most likely be raised if they don’t measure up consistently or fail to follow through on what is expected. They are accountable to you.

But do you place upon yourself the same level of expectations and accountability? Do you make it a priority to honor the personal commitments you make to yourself?

I’m asking you this because I first asked myself. It makes for a good dose of self-examination for the sake of personal improvement. It’s an opportunity to tweak the areas that need fine-tuning. It’s a chance to raise the bar for the end result of greater gain.

When you commit to your health & fitness, it’s not okay to repeatedly drop the ball. And why should it be? When others honor their commitments to you in a wishy-washy, lackadaisical-type fashion, you hold them accountable, right? Be that same person when dealing with self.

This is not a call to action to strive for perfection and do everything right 100% of the time. That’s impossible, of course. Yet I’m sure there is a personal “knowing” on the inside of you whether you are giving something your best effort or simply being lazy about it.

I challenge you to live each day in the most excellent way you can. Not with perfection, but with a personal gold standard (however you define it). Place expectations on yourself and follow through with excellence and great effort and zeal. Be accountable to YOU.

Comments

1. It’s funny how we can be both harder on ourselves and easier on ourselves than we’d be if we could step outside of our own tiny brains and see ourselves as others do.

I totally agree that even when I’m making rationalizations and excuses, there’s a part of me that knows it’s bullshit and that I could do better. But then sometimes the melodramatic self-flagellation for misdemeanors is something I’d never heap on a friend or family member.

We humans are weird!

But good timing for this post because it’s almost time for me to hit the gym. And I’m going to EXPECT to do some damn weights which I’ve been avoiding lately and not just go scurrying off to the elliptical.
    crabby mcslacker recently posted..New Habit Experiment: A Simple Trick to Make ‘Em Stick

2. misszippy says:

So true that we’re quicker to hold others’ feet to the fire. Gotta do it for ourselves, too!
    misszippy recently posted..The Boston Marathon Bandits (and glass houses)

3. So did you work out? And if we drop the ball and it’s a stability ball that we then use, does that make it ok? Way to call it out!
    Kymberly (@KymberlyFunFit) recently posted..Insider List of Resources to Help You Age Actively

4. Allie says:

Every.damn.day!
    Allie recently posted..The Rundown: With A Little Help From My Friends

5. Monique says:

I needed that message. I tend to drop the ball all the time when it comes to me. My husband encorages me all the time to make myself a orioriry.

6. Kita says:

I write sticky notes to myself every night for the next day holding myself accountable for my actions making sure I never end the day without doing what I need to do for me.
    Kita recently posted..Paying loans to get out of debt

7. Marc says:

I like this post Josie :) It is thought provoking look inside yourself and be your best kind of talk. I know I need this – thanks!
    Marc recently posted..We all can do it, despite the naysayers

Because if we treat others with that kind of respect — to do a good job for them — we should treat ourselves that way, too.
    mimi recently posted..A to Z Challenge: X is for Xylotomy

9. Brooke says:

Well said. These words and this blog in general is providing me with a lot of inspiration. Thanks for sharing. I am ready to take up your challenge. Having your blog here as a guide and a power source will make the journey a bit easier.

10. I have bee for 30+++ years. Can I stop yet? ;)
    Jody – Fit at 56 recently posted..Gratitude Monday & Thoughts on the Future; Happy Bday!

I have very high expectations for myself – some days that is good and other days it is a source of stress.
    Kim recently posted..Driving and Running, Business and Sleeping, Babies and Blogging

12. You nailed it! so so so true! We do need to expect ourselves to achieve the best and hold ourselves accountable!
    Sheetal@mefatfree recently posted..My Frenemy and me!

13. Carla says:

for me it is SO SO SO MUCH MORE MOTIVATING when the accountability person is ME…than when it’s anyone else.

Ill disappoint others :-)
    Carla recently posted..Ending the glorification of BUSY.

14. Saginaw Mike says:

Dang, all this funny stuff, then you are as strict as the military. But I hear you and admire you. Even though, am gonna have a Tall Boy in a couple hours, cuz I actually have a young friend (Draymond Greene, Golden State Warriors) who plays in the NBA and they are on TV in a playoff game later tonight. But like you say, Josie, accountability and moderation.

15. blackhuff says:

This is so true and such a great visualiser for when one wants to drop the ball.
    blackhuff recently posted..MTB and Re-evaluating fitness goals

16. KalleyC says:

I’ve read this post eariler and now I had a chance to comment on it. I think you’re spot on with this. We can demand a high expectations of others but if we do that we must demand higher of ourselves. It reminds me of the bible parable about removing the log from our own eyes before we remove the speck from our neighbors. In all things we must be an example. No, we won’t be perfect all the time. After all, we are not perfect people, but we have to strive and try and get back up if we fall down. Not quitting after a setback but knowing that, a setback is not a reason to quit.
    KalleyC recently posted..Week 17: Like A Photo Booth

17. Irene says:

No truer words have ever been spoken.
    Irene recently posted..WOW # 27