The most balanced meal you’ve never seen in your life… until now.

If you thought you were gonna find here today some sauteed chicken livers & steamed wombat claws as a fine example of balanced meal-ing, then I’m sorry to disappoint. You better click away right now.

balanced meal The most balanced meal youve never seen in your life... until now.

Broccoli in the middle. One hot dog on each side to create proper balancing of the dinner-meal. Sadly, I forgot the mustard.

All that wonderful talk about intermittent fasting and clean eating does not change the fact that I eat “normal” meals for dinner. I eat what my family eats. Don’t even sweat it.

In a perfect world those hungry child-spawns of mine would enjoy grass fed meats that I slaughtered myself, complete with a side of organic cheeses and hand-plucked spices harvested during my travels to the remote mountaintops of Indonesia.

But my ass is exhausted after work. I do what I can to make it nutritious. If that means a nice, uber-healthy meal, then great. But if it ends up being a can of Chef Boyardee? Well that’s great, too.

If you think this meal is fancy, just wait until you hear about the bag of frozen meat patties made from mechanically separated poultry parts that I bought on purpose. That particular meal is also known as, So Damn Tired Chicken Sammich Night.

Do you find my family cooking style to be appalling or applauding? Please…go on. Tell me more about it in the comments.

Comments

1. Carla says:

YES YES YES.
    we just do our best here too and sometimes that be the CHEF :-)
    Carla recently posted..When is it ok to lie to your child?

2. Barbara says:

Some nights it’s grass fed beef with a heaping pile of broccoli or a fruit alongside. Last night it was a bag o’ burgers and fries because shiz happens. For tonight, chicken is thawing already and the fruits and veggies will represent! :)

3. Valerie says:

I always felt guilty feeding my kids hot dogs, but I did it. When you work AND you have kids, it’s difficult to plan a spectacularly healthy meal every day.
    Valerie recently posted..2 Critical Dietary Recommendations To Get Lean And Mean

4. Kita says:

It needs mustard and some butter garlic sauce on those broccoli then you will have a well balanced meal lol
    Kita recently posted..Homeless Mother goes to Jail

5. Hey, just always try your best with what you’ve got. And sometimes that’s a frozen meal from Trader Joe’s.

I took a week of dinners off recently because I was miffed about a comment my husband made about my food planning. He stepped up and brought home a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. I had planned to just eat oatmeal/cereal most nights so this was definitely a step up. :)
    Jessica @ Blog-Inspired Cooking recently posted..Bits & Bobs

6. Marc says:

When I had kids at home, we rarely ate hotdogs. Maybe on the 4th of July. That’s because I’ve never liked them. I did bake plenty of Totino’s pizza’s though, without broccoli. So you’re doing good feeding them veggies. :)
    Marc recently posted..First trail run

7. KalleyC says:

It’s so had to eat well when you are tired, and you got hungry kids to feed. Some days I’m lucky and they eat a great meal, other days I know I need work.
    KalleyC recently posted..5 Hair Lessons on Life

The meals must please the husband, Sweetie. He eats what a farm boy would eat, so it better have some bacon grease as seasoning somewhere. And veggies, lots of veggies on the side.
    mimi recently posted..A to Z Challenge: H is for Hope and Horizon

9. misszippy says:

Never gonna judge a working woman for doing what it takes! Thanks for the breath of fresh air honesty!
    misszippy recently posted..Track Week Part Two

Just one more reason why we get along so well!!
    We do our best too but sometimes the family dinner comes out of a package – we don’t care – as long as there is sustenance and we can spend some time together!!!
    Kim recently posted..Calming Your Mind

My mum was a night nurse and we regularly got the joy of spam burgers when she was getting ready for work (bleh). While I admit I’ll never voluntarily eat spam again I’d be happy with a supper like that…you’re talking to the queen of ramen noodles here :)

12. I thought you spawned the young uns so that they would hunt, trap, forage, raise, and cook for you. What happened?
    KymberlyFunFit recently posted..What is Your Health Worth?

13. Did you know that all the beef that Applegate Farms sells is 100% Grass-Fed! THEIR HOT DOGS ARE LEGIT!!!!!! No need to go slaughter anything in Indonesia!!
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted..Not So Devilish Deviled Eggs

14. Kelly says:

Serious awesomeness in this dinner.
    Kelly recently posted..WI Results & Some Pics From the Weekend.

15. LuckyMama says:

As mamas, we do the best we can. Sometimes, it’s full of the “right” stuff; at other times, it’s hot dogs with cheetos. If someone were to judge me on what I fed my kids after I’d been working all day long, well I’d ask them if they knew what the letters “F-O” meant.
    My own kids would tell you, they don’t ever remember any of the meals we ate when they were growing up, they just remember that we were together at the table.
    Besides – I *love* hotdogs!

16. OLWomen says:

Eating a balanced diet means choosing a wide variety of foods and drinks from all the food groups, but this one is great and seems cheap. Good addition.
    OLWomen recently posted..5 Resons To Stay Motivated To Exercise Regularly