Holy shizzle. I made donuts! It was an interesting chain of events that could not be stopped. Care to follow along?
My search for healthy donuts created in me burning desire to acquire a donut pan. When the donut pan arrived, I adapted various recipes to come up with a brand new creation. I selected ingredients that are most wonderful and much healthier, too, like honey and coconut oil. Then I made my donuts and gave them a name most fitting:
CINNAMON NUTMEG CAKE DONUTS
Yields approximately 7-8 donuts
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking power
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- generous dashes of cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- set aside: 1 packet Vanilla Sugar (preferred) or 1-2 teaspoons regular sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Set sugar or vanilla sugar aside. Mix all other dry ingredients together in a bowl, then add wet ingredients.
- Blend until blendy.
- Spoon mixture into donut pan, then bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Empty your sugar or vanilla sugar onto a plate.
- While donuts are hot & fresh out the oven, pop them out the pan.
- Turn each donut upside down and press the donut’s top into the sugar on the plate.
- Eat and enjoy.
Batter in the pan…
Fresh out the oven!
Lightly sprinkled with vanilla sugar….
Then it’s time to fro-down!
Ahhhh. Homemade cake donuts. They were a hit with the Greedy Family. It felt mighty good to take the power of the donut into my grubby little hands instead of treating the kids to the crappy kind you find in stores. Next time I might add chocolate chips.
The donuts were moist and cake’y and wonderful. I ended up eating one and a half donuts. When guilt tried to slap me in the face, I reminded that scoundrel that these donuts were made with healthy ingredients. Holla!