45-Degree Walking Lunges Workout

There’s no getting around the burn you’re gonna feel in your legs. It’s the burn of your body transmorphing into what you want it to be. This spin on walking lunges not only targets the quads, but the inner thighs, too. Let it burn, baby…

>> Subscribe to Yum Yucky on You Tube for more home workout ideas.

INSTRUCTIONS, PROPER FORM AND MODIFICATIONS

Execute your walking lunges by stepping forward at a 45-degree angle instead of straight ahead. Use long, slow strides. Engage the core. Keep your back straight and push through the heel.

Not only will the quad & inner thigh of lunging leg burn, but your back leg may get fatigued as it works, and may have a tendency to want to drag if you’re killing those reps. Remember to keep that back leg strong and be mindful of good form. If your form starts to fall apart, move slower, decrease reps or go take a nap.

Tackle these lunges uphill for an extra challenge. You can throat punch me later for suggesting it.

Comments

1. Carla says:

oooh and we have some KICKASS (pun intended) hills here in oakland….
    Carla recently posted..My FAT to FIT fabrication.

2. Cindy says:

I’m not going to claim I can do this, but I can do walking lunges but only stepping backwards!!! Stepping forwards I just slam the ground too hard. Maybe adding a 45 degree angle will help or make it worse. I think I need to look up the basic instruction for a forward lunge and figure this out.
    Looking Awesome!!
    Cindy recently posted..Snowshoeing!

How did you know that my driveway is a hill?
    mimi recently posted..Aww Monday

I love these 45 degree walking lunges – people probably think I’m drunk when I do them outside and can’t walk in a straight line but….
    Kim recently posted..The Law of Diminishing Returns

5. I love those lunges! So part of my lunge exercises!!! You look awesome!
    Jody – Fit at 56 recently posted..Gratitude Monday & Just Breathe!

6. Allie says:

LOVE the music and love the “prisoner” arms – almost makes you forget about the burn in your legs. Nasty!!
    Allie recently posted..The Rundown: Hell Week

I’m so sick of the Polar Vortex, I thought 45 degrees was the temperature, but I guess if your legs are burning enough that would warm you up!
    Coco recently posted..The Value Of Paying For Fitness Classes

Your brain’s thinking has been officially sucked into the Vortex. Congrats!
      I wish I could go outside again to workout. Dang snow everywhere. Ruining all my fun.

8. You’re so hardcore! Wow these do look so hard! Have tried them before they make my Quad burn! Thanks for sharing!
    Sheetal@mefatfree recently posted..Shot 1 Take 150

9. jefferson says:

I always feel it the next day when I do lunges.. It’s kind of a love/hate relationship.

I recently added this heavy as heck kettlebell to my lunge routine.
    jefferson recently posted..You Are What You Eat

10. blackhuff says:

I like the normal walking lunges but I will try these if there is enough space (not so many people) in the gym because the space at home is limited as well.
    blackhuff recently posted..High Knees with stability ball training

11. You could have caught me squatting yesterday. My legs worked it… 10 times in a row. That was enough for me! lol! Don’t need to get TOO buck wild!
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted..This Recipe is a Touch Down!

12. And I thought I was doing something when I did squats and lunges in my living room last night! Uphill?!? I’m not ready for all of that yet. :)
    Kimberly (Manifest Yourself) recently posted..What’s on the menu for Superbowl Sunday?

13. Brittany says:

These look SOOO MUCH BETTER than traditional lunges. I tend to go at a bit of an angle anyway..soo..this would be perfect haha. Add the walking and that will ensure I don’t fall on my clumsy ass.