Greedy Recipe! Healthy Homemade Hot Pockets

These here pockets are custom made. You’re the boss, baby. The ingredients are all up to you. I’m only here to guide you into the deliciousness.

hot pockets 5 Greedy Recipe! Healthy Homemade Hot Pockets

I was inspired to cook up some healthy homemade hot pockets, thanks to my overactive lazy bone — the kind of lazy that desires to spend zero moments in the kitchen while optimizing time well spent doing not a damn thang. Frozen, boxed pockets are out of the question. This healthy homemade version is quick & easy, and had the family howling for more. They even ate the fresh veggies packed inside.

INGREDIENTS

Makes 6 pockets. Total prep & cooking time: 25 minutes or less.

• Pillsbury Thin Crust Pizza Dough
  • Shredded cheese of your choice
  • Raw broccoli, spinach or other favorite veggie(s)
  • Cooked chicken, turkey or ham. Deli meat may be used (preferably nitrate free)
  • Optional toppings such as hot sauce or red pepper flakes
  • Sprinklings of water & milk

DIRECTIONS

• Spread dough onto cookie sheet and cut into 6 even pieces using pizza cutter.
  • Build each pocket by adding ingredients, starting with cheese on the bottom. Be careful not to overstuff to ensure the pocket will properly seal.

hot pockets 1 Greedy Recipe! Healthy Homemade Hot Pockets

• Lightly brush the edges of the dough with water, then fold over to seal. Press down hard around the edges to achieve a good seal. If you don’t have a pastry brush, use a paper towel for this step, and also for the next step.
  • Very lightly brush/dab the top of closed pocket with milk. This step is important to achieve a golden brown crust. Be careful not over-milk or crust will come out way too brown.

hot pockets 3 Greedy Recipe! Healthy Homemade Hot Pockets

• With pockets still on cookie sheet, place in preheated 375-degree oven and bake for 15 minutes. Crust will be golden brown when done.

hot pockets 6 Greedy Recipe! Healthy Homemade Hot Pockets

• Allow the pockets to rest for a minute or two to avoid burning your mouth, especially if feeding greedy children.

Combo ideas for your homemade hot pockets:

• Turkey, cheddar and broccoli
  • Turkey, spinach and cheddar
  • Chicken, spinach and cheddar with hot sauce & red pepper flakes
  • Chicken, broccoli and cheddar
  • Ham, broccoli & cheddar
  • Mushroom, spinach & cheese
  • Pepperoni & mozzarella
  • Bacon, egg & cheese

hot pockets 2 Greedy Recipe! Healthy Homemade Hot Pocketschicken, cheddar, spinach, hot sauce & red pepper flakes

Got any good combo ideas? And remember, you’re the boss because you control the ingredients and portion sizes. No matter your combo, it’s much healthier than boxed pockets. Now don’t you feel all empowered ‘n stuff?

Like me on Facebook

Stalk me on Instagram

Comments

1. Those look really good. Now I’m wondering if I (or my wife, since she’s the baker and I’m the cook) could make these with homemade pizza crust.
    Jeremy Logsdon recently posted..Cold in Kentucky

My kids will get a kick out of making their own! Great idea.
    mimi recently posted..Philosophy

3. My hubby LOVES hot pockets! I am going to try these this weekend! Thanks for sharing Josie!
    Nellie @ Brooklyn Active Mama recently posted..*taps mic* A Few Fun Things to Share!

4. Shannon says:

Those look so yummy! I want to try out a breakfast version :)
    Shannon recently posted..A Single Word

5. Jack Sh*t says:

This is even better than my recipe for healthy Pop-Tarts (it’s just regular Pop-Tarts that you scoop out the filling and replace with mashed sweet potatoes).

Mmm…i so want to make a breakfast pocket now…
    Geosomin recently posted..#4 complete

7. Allie says:

OMG I just jumped here from GiGi Eats Celebrities b/c the video you made with her made me DIE laughing!!! I’m now officially stalking you on FB. Twitter and Instagram :-)
    I also love the look of these pockets! I think I could actually do this and the kids would eat it. Imagine that!?
    Allie recently posted..The Rundown

8. Kita says:

Homemade one looks so much better. I am not a fan of hot pockets my hubs eats them by the droves but me they just look eeewww
    Kita recently posted..Talk Tuesday

• Yum Yucky says:

I agree. I gave up store bought hot pockets years ago before I even started getting in shape. A little voice inside told me to steer clear of them for good. Something just ain’t right about it.

9. I want to throw Ryan Gosling in a hot pocket and heat it up!
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted..Yum… Oh Wait No, That’s Yucky!

• Yum Yucky says:

Girl, don’t do that. He’d come out all crispy & limp. You don’t need a hot pocket to heat up Ryan anyways. I’m sure you can do that all by yourself.

10. Portia says:

The store bought kind are usually so gross but these look awesome! Plus I bet you can freeze this ahead of time and cook on demand.

11. Lex says:

Thanks! Now I’m drooling again… :-(
    Lex recently posted..Mix It Up: Tabata Treadmill Workout

Yum – I’m almost motivated to finally go to the store just to get the ingredients for this!!!
    I’m sure these will be a hit in our house!
    Kim recently posted..Wall-Sits, Planks and National Day of Something

13. quix says:

My mind. You just blew it. I’m thinkin’ of trying this out with some whole wheat pizza dough. YUM!
    quix recently posted..New Years 2014 Roadmap

14. Sheila says:

Nom! Nom! We might have to try these on an upcoming lazy day!

15. These look so darn good! Pity I can’t eat pastry. Will have to devise a pastry recipe that has no flour or gluten in it and make these. Great idea.

16. blackhuff says:

They look delicious. I will have it as my cheat meal on a Saturday but these are great to make on week nights for the children.
    blackhuff recently posted..Progress update

17. MIZ says:

should I be embarrassed I have a TUBE OF DOUGH in the fridge for something else?
    WE WILL MAKE THESE TONIGHT AND INSTAGRAM!!
    MIZ recently posted..Gluten-free egg in a frame.

18. Um, genius.
    Krissie J @ Philly Nerd Girl recently posted..A New Year

19. I’ll take two please, with a glass of milk.
    Coco (@Got2Run4Me) recently posted..Wordless Wednesday (The Polar Vortex Edition)

20. KalleyC says:

I need to gets me some of this!!! I had a craving for hot pocket and too lazy to want to make it. This looks so easy, I’m going to see if I can trick Mr. C in cooking for me :-)
    KalleyC recently posted..Epic Windchill and a Vlog!