Cheat Days and Cheat Meals: why you need to totally give them up

You wouldn’t want someone else to cheat on you, so why do it to yourself?

Why use negative connotations to describe anything related to how hard you are working to achieve your desired physique and health? But it sure is a lovely thang when someone treats to you something wonderful. Or you’re dang well pleased to treat yourself. That feels good, now doesn’t it?

Cheat Day. Cheat Meal. Hell-to-the-NO.

It’s a Treat Day! It’s a Treat Meal!

Whichever you prefer it to be — a day or a meal — go on and enjoy the treat. And be careful of the words you use to describe and define you.

Ps. I’m totally treating myself to a bowl of crappy cereal tonight. Capt’n Crunch, yo.

captain crunch Cheat Days and Cheat Meals: why you need to totally give them up

Like me on Facebook

Stalk me on Instagram

Comments

1. misszippy says:

Because for real, life is too damn short not to eat Cap’n Crunch!
    misszippy recently posted..On (short) track for Sochi

You said it, my sistah! But, errr, can I borrow some milk for my cereals? I’ll pay you back in magic beans.

2. The only one I truly hate, “Food holiday”. Semantics, it’s what’s for dinner.

Hmm. Never heard that term until now. But I sho-nuff would take a food holiday to the Caribbean. To fro down on all you can buffets ‘n stuff. That’s a REAL food holiday.

3. Good point. I just end up feeling back about myself after eating something I know does me no good.
    Debbie@HappyHealthyFitandFine recently posted..Getting the Doughboy Off Your Back

I still get that way occasionally myself. All I can do is move on quickly and get back down to business. Easier said than done, but it gets better with practice.

4. KalleyC says:

So true, how we use our words does affect how we feel about our food. I’m with you on Treat Day…but I don’t have any Captin’ Crunch–Only Bran Flakes (I’m so not adventurous when it comes to cereal)…
    KalleyC recently posted..Epic Windchill and a Vlog!

5. Barbara says:

I like that! Treat day, treat meal. As long as it doesn’t turn into treat month, it’s all good.
    Barbara recently posted..De-Cluttering: Clear Space Helps Clear The Mind

6. Whew! From the title of this post I thought you were suggesting I eat sensibly every damn meal. I am happy to call it a Treat Meal or a Cheat Meal or a Holiday Meal or a Psychotic Purple Wombat Meal as long as I get to chow down something totally inexcusable every now and then.

But sorry, Lucky Charms totally rules over Cap’n Crunch. It’s magically delicious!
    crabby mcslacker recently posted..Cool Stuff We Didn’t Write Ourselves

I vote for Psychotic Purple Wombat Meal. Please bring the secret sauce for the wombat. I will bring the psychosis.

7. Exactly! If I’m making a concious choice to indulge, it shouldn’t be called cheating. My healthy lifestyle is an open relationship (heh) and includes interludes of chips and cake! What is life without a few indulgences?
    AdjustedReality recently posted..How It Is, And How It Has Been, Winter Blahs Edition

8. Cindy says:

If I cheat or treat or fold or whatever I tend to keep on cheating and treating. I say stuff happens. Cap’n Crunch happens and then it is over and we move on and dump the rest of the box in the garbage.
    Cindy recently posted..Snowshoeing!

9. Never had the Captain before in my life! I just read somewhere though that is actually a Colonel! WTF! #BLOWINGMYMIND
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted..Yum… Oh Wait No, That’s Yucky!

10. Kita says:

I love that captain crunch but only dry I hate it with milk does that take the sting off of it with no milk lol
    Kita recently posted..Project 365

11. Marion says:

Hi Josie, Yes, I think the perspective is important. And full honesty too. And enjoyment of the food without feeling bad about one’s self. I’m of the perspective that much of eating well is conquering the mind games. :D
    Marion recently posted..January Jeans 2014: January’s Come–How did it go for *You*?

It starts and ends in the mind. We have sooo much power over the eating and many other situations. My hope is that people would realize this for themselves.

12. Cassandre says:

Capt’n crunch takes me back to my youth. Loved that cereal. I am with you with treating myself once in awhile. I find that having a treat in moderation here and there helps me with my whole healthy lifestyle because I never feel like I am depriving myself..
    Cassandre recently posted..Health Coach Friday’s – 100 Days At The Gym

13. blackhuff says:

Bravo! Love how you approach a cheat (oops, sorry. A treat meal.)
    blackhuff recently posted..Curiosity kills the cat & weight gain

Since you are planning your meals, and you are planning your treats, it’s not cheating. We define our words, and then they define us.

15. Deb says:

For me any cheat meal, treat meal, anything but a meat meal has to be a wheat-free meal or it’s called a Turn Your Joints Into Painful Hinges For a Week Meal!
    But this has made me think about what I would have for such a meal. Cereal and any grain is out. So it would have to be something sweet… a crust-less cheesecake maybe or ice cream. It just doesn’t sound very exciting does it.?

16. Aqiyl Aniys says:

You are very correct about being careful about the words we use. I do stay away from the cheat and treat meals though. They don’t help keep me at the level I like to be o I just do without them. I was talking with this lady on the train the other day and we were discussing some health topics revolving around which foods are better for us and she asked me in confidence if I ever cheat and have a little piece of meat or fish. I told her I don’t and I don’t even get a craving to. I removed the craving for fish by cleaning my system of the things that make me crave. Now I just want was is healthy cause I don’t like feeling unhealthy ever, not for a second. :)
    Aqiyl Aniys recently posted..4 Anti Inflammatory Herbs You Need In Your Kitchen Cabinets

Love Cap’N Crunch cereal (no milk though!).
    I just tend to eat – most days fairly healthy and other days maybe not but I don’t feel like I’m cheating on anyone or anything so I guess that counts for something!
    Kim recently posted..Sleep-Overs: Love Them or Hate Them?

18. Words and semantics are sooooooo important! It does matter what we call things. I am going to call Cap’n Crunch “dark chocolate from See’s.”
    KymberlyFunFit recently posted..Benefits of a Spa: We Went to Glen Ivy Hot Springs & Learned How to Relax (and Have Great Skin)

19. Years ago I blogged about some food “cheats,” and I got so many comments that I shouldn’t call it a “cheat,” I’ve called it a “treat” every since! :)
    Andrea@WellnessNotes recently posted..The Little Book of Thin

Plus, with a “cheat” meal you always will get caught by the scale anyway. I have a piece of dark chocolate every day, but that”s just my daily dose of antioxidants.
    Coco recently posted..Say Yes And Don’t Be Afraid To Fail

21. I have never called my “fun” food a cheat day or cheat treat. I have always called it my treat & I deserve it no guilt! Been like that forever – no cheating here, just living! :)
    Jody – Fit at 56 recently posted..Healthy Recipes for the Lazy Cook – Edition 2

22. Tamara says:

I really love Cap n’ Crunch. And you said it perfectly! I have always felt that way. It’s not cheating. It’s eating!
    Tamara recently posted..Me Before You.

23. Krissy says:

I agree 100% with this post. I can’t stand when people call them cheat days

24. Tess says:

I was just thinking about this and talking about it with my friends to add a special treat to our week so we dont end up going overboard otherwise.

25. Frances Robles says:

Hi Josie,
    Was just wondering how often do you have “treat” days?
    And do you fast on that day?

Thanks!

Hi Frances. I do a treat day usually once per week, which doesn’t mean I eat any and everything in my path. I just means I give myself the freedom to enjoy food with whatever might be going on at the time (night out at restaurant, buttered popcorn at movies, baking cookies with the kids, etc). I fast 5-6 days per week, so 1-2 days per week I enjoy. Thanks for asking!