A message for weary moms and others who are caretakers.

To set the tone, please imagine a bit of epic music playing here. Something that starts off real soft & slow, then builds into a roaring Lord of the Rings soundtrack experience…

THE MESSAGE

With all the important stuff you do for your family and household, there’s probably a great deal that goes under-appreciated or completely unnoticed. It can make you feel crappy. I know it. But please understand — the unsung things you do are vital to the success of your family and home. This is no way negates the contribution of others, but let’s just focus on YOU right now.

You are a big-time piece to the puzzle. Without your contribution, that puzzle remains undone, unfinished and inadequate. The critical contributions you make to support your home cause the wheels to spin efficiently and the engine to run like a well-oiled machine. Your home thrives because of your hard work. Whether you’re doing dishes, folding laundry, cooking, carting people around, helping with homework, delegating tasks, caring for the sick, being the judge & jury, or assuming the role of secret spy police — you are werkin’ it, my friend.

You put out fires (hopefully not literally) and keep the boat afloat. That piece of paper on the floor that everyone else ignored and stepped over… you picked it up. You make things neat & tidy.

You are a cornerstone.

There’s so much they don’t see that you do. The most insignificant of tasks is actually a very big deal. That wee little chore is darn vital to the puzzle remaining intact.

Why this message?

If you are an unsung hero — if you many times go without a pat on the back or a simple “thank you”, I contest that you still have a wonderful reward: your diligence and commitment to everything that goes on in your home seals the deal on the success of your family. How awesome is that! Without your contributions to your “kingdom”, it might become a ransacked city with broken down walls.

This is why you are important. Even when no one is looking.

If you sometimes grow weary in your overflowing responsibilities a mother or caretaker, keep your head up. But while you’re at it, I insist that you take time out to take care of YOU. The Nuturer must also be nurtured.

Like me on Facebook

Comments

1. Marion says:

Hi Josie, Very nice comment to the busy moms. I remember helping 4 kids with homework and school projects each night. And I also fell asleep standing up against the washing machine when the 2 youngest were both babies. So the young mothers really should give themselves much more credit. Definitely. :D
    Marion recently posted..January Jeans 2014: Time to be Rocky Now (for holiday eating)

2. Kita says:

As a busy mom I do feel unappreciated but I know that I can work now and have it pay off later when the kids are educated and go on to do the great things that I hope they take in.
    Kita recently posted..Pinteresting Wednesday

Housework is only noticed if it’s left undone; i’m not sure who first said that, but it’s true,
    mimi recently posted..Learning Curve

4. This was so uplifting and exactly what I needed to read today! THANK YOU!!! –Lisa
    The Dose of Reality recently posted..A Lazy Mom’s Guide To The Elf On The Shelf

5. Cecele D says:

Thanks for posting that. I have been feeling that way for sometime now and I am happy that at least someone acknowledges all the we as mom’s do. And I send a special hug and love to all of the single mommies like me who sometimes feel we go through twice as much.

Many thanks
    Cecele

:) Well said.
    So very true. It took me being sick and not being able to do all I normally do to make me and my husband realise just what all of it was and how it helped the flow of our daily lives work so well. Sometimes taking the time to stop and smile and think “Damn I’m good!” before you rush off to the next thing can keep you in the right frame of mind, doesn’t it? :) I know I actually appreciate these things now, and like when I have the energy to do them…to think I actually look forward to some of them sometimes. Who knew? :)

7. Descygna Webb says:

You just don’t know how much I appreciated reading this and how much I appreciate you for saying it. This really made my day. I’ve been struggling with feeling unappreciated a lot lately and it helps to hear someone, anyone validate the things that I do for my family. Thanks Josie!

8. Ah, so important, especially this time of year. The people who do it all seem to do even more.

What a great post – I have been cranky all day for reasons similar to this!
    Kim recently posted..Trying to Keep it Classy

10. That Guy... says:

This is why I tell everyone, hands down, this is one of the 2 or 3 best fitness blogs online — because you are real.

11. Joi says:

Great message Josie. I’m sure it is much appreciated by many.
    Joi recently posted..Contracting Clients with Robinson and Associates, LLC

12. misszippy says:

Amen to that! I love this message, especially b/c my middle schooler seems to have forgotten I have any value lately! (he’s in there somewhere, right?)
    misszippy recently posted..Marathon: you win this round

13. Sheila says:

I love this and it’s so true! Signed, the woman digging pencil erasers out of her 7 year old’s nose yesterday and who still needs to go run

14. blackhuff says:

I like this post. So many moms need this message.
    blackhuff recently posted..Farmers Walk

Trackbacks

1. […] post A message for weary moms and others who are caretakers. appeared first on Yum […]