Leg Day Workout

I’ve got a nice little arsenal of leg day exercises in my pocket. Here are some of my favs. Yes, strength training DOES give you a good calorie burn. This combo of exercises will have your muscles burning and your heart pounding like you’re all up in the club dancing to Vanilla Ice. Shoot for 2-3 sets for a complete leg day routine, then add 5-10 minutes of cardio as an icing on the cake post workout drill.

If you prefer to watch this video in Youtube, click here.

Subscribe to Yum Yucky on YouTube for more Quickie workouts.

INSTRUCTIONS, PROPER FORM & MODIFICATIONS

For all of these exercises, go through the range of motion slow rather than fast. Time under tension is good for you!

• Deep Squat: Only squat as deep as feels comfortable. Skip the dumbbells if your form suffers.
  • Wide Leg Deadlift: The deadlift exercise gets the back of the legs and booty, but with wide legs you can hit the inner thighs as well. Don’t round your back. Keep head in line with the spine. Lower the dumbbells to the knees, or a little further (like I do) if it feels comfortable.
  • 1-Legged Split Squat: Go slow and focus on balance. Don’t let your knees go over the toes. Push through your heel on the front leg on the way up. Use a challenging weight, but don’t let your form suffer.
  • Reverse lunges: This is a basic leg exercise, but the addition of the medicine ball overhead adds more of a challenge and forces you to engage your abs to stay stable. Don’t forget to push through the heels of the front leg.

…and a big shout out to Jeremy L. Thank you for the badass Power Rangers t-shirt! I feel real super ‘n stuff.

power rangers Leg Day Workout

Like me on Facebook

Comments

1. #nuffsaid
    MizIsDoingLegsTodayTOO!!! recently posted..what you can when you can (AKA #wycwyc).

2. I loved the video, and watched all the way through! Um, does that count for leg day? Surely that kick-ass awesomeness made its way through my eyes, into my brain, down my nerves, and landed in the relevant muscles? I’m not an expert in physiology, but I’m pretty sure it works that way.
    crabby mcslacker recently posted..Help Wanted: Join Team Cranky!

3. Isn’t that “Vanilla Icing on the Cake?” Thanks for doing my leg workout for me.
    KymberlyFunFit recently posted..5 Tips for Working Out When You Don’t Want To

4. Lisa says:

One leg squat! Impressive! I do not have the balance or coordination. Yet.
    Lisa recently posted..Life and Lemons

Gurrrl, you should’ve seen me doing that move BEFORE the balance came. Just grab onto something! Balance will eventually follow.

5. hope says:

Great video! You scared me a little how you sneaked up to the camera…didn’t see you coming. Those look intense…especially the deep leg squats. You certainly make leg day look fun. Gonna try do it after work.
    hope recently posted..Testify!

6. messymimi says:

This looks scary, which is the sign i have to do it.

7. Would do this, but my foot is BROKE so that ain’t happening. I’ll sit on the couch and watch you. Exercise enough!
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted..Michelle Bridges Kicked My Booty, & I Liked It!

How can you hate leg day?! And – 20 pounds on that overhead press – nice, you rock!!!
    Kim recently posted..Does Simple Count?

9. That Guy... says:

Uhm, I plead guilty of….

…being a guy.

Damn!

• Yum Yucky says:

I’m guessing it was the shorts, Roy? I asked my hubs permission to wear them on camera (those are my normal workout clothes after all). That pretty much makes him my video pimp, huh?

10. blackhuff says:

I like the one legged deadlifts. I do them myself and love the burn :)
    blackhuff recently posted..Rock climbing

11. YES!!!! Love/hate with legs but man. it works if you work them… well till you get to my age & then they fight you like no tomorrow no matter how hard you work them! :) Awesome workout!
    Jody – Fit at 56 recently posted..Giveaway winner, Bananas & Balls!

Trackbacks