It’s the Split Squat! Dear gawd, I can feel the burn when I simply speak its name.
I curse this move every time I do it. C’mon, ya’ll. Let’s curse it together. Yet its effectiveness at developing the booty, quads and greater balance keeps me coming back for more. It’s time to feel the burn…
SPLIT SQUAT TECHNIQUE
- One foot back behind you (back leg should NOT be directly behind front leg).
- Front leg bends at 90 degree angle. Knee never goes over toes.
- Squat slow and push through the front heel as you come up. Focus on keeping your balance in check.
- Chest up. No drastic leaning forward.
Does one ever truly conquer the split lunge? NOPE! Because the move can be modified for greater intensity:
- Add weighed barbell behind back.
- Dumbbells in both hands by your sides.
- One dumbbell or kettlebell held in both hands at chest level.
Any weight you use should be challenging, but not so heavy that your form suffers.
QUICKIE SPLIT SQUAT PULSE WORKOUT (with or without weight)
- 10 reps slow
- 10 low-end pulses (get in deep & low, don’t come up too high)
- 10 reps slow
- hold in low-end position for 10 seconds
Now complete this same sequence on the other side, then take it from the top for a 2nd round pure leg-burning hell (you know you wanna). Do this workout as a stand-alone quickie, or add it to your next circuit.
If you’re not seeing progress you desire, it’s time for a greater challenge. Pseudo-easy, semi-effortless workouts are not the things sculpted bodies are made of. Now get yo’ booty out on the workout floor and get after the body you want!