I used to hate working my abs when my belly was super fatty. I couldn’t see any ab strengthening results because of the concrete fat layer. But you gotta keep working those abs anyway! Once the fat melts off your stomach, you’ll have a rockin’ set of abs that shines through. As for you moms out there, it’s extra important for us to work the abs to get those muscles strengthened and back in shape after being stretched by pregnancy.
This circuit doesn’t take long. Do this one on your “abs day”, or simply do it when you’re short on time. But if you’re the badass that I know you are, tack this circuit onto the beginning or end of your next cardio session.
Abs Makeover: FULL WORKOUT
There are three rounds in the circuit. Each round consists of 4 ab exercises:
- 4 reps: Stability ball tuck into pike
- 8 reps: Full body tucks into leg reach
- 8 alternating: butterfly legs
- 12 reps: bicycle crunches (left leg + right leg = 1 rep)
INSTRUCTIONS, MODIFICATIONS & PROPER FORM
1. Stability Ball Tucks into Pike: This is an advanced move that requires upper body strength and good balance. You will need to stabilize and engage your ENTIRE body, especially the core. Do not let your hips drop. When I first started doing this exercise, I sucked at it really bad. There was a lot of falling off the ball, flopping around and cussing with every attempt. Just keep at it! The only way to improve at this exercise is to practice it often, so don’t get discouraged. To modify, start out by mastering the “tucks” part of this move before attempting the pike.
2. Full Body Tuck into Straight Leg Reach: Your legs will never touch the floor on this move. From an outstretched position, engage your abs as you slightly lift your booty off the floor to tuck in your legs & arms into a ball as demonstrated in the video. Then, reach up. Everything comes from the core as you tuck and reach. NOT your neck. Don’t arch your back.
3. Butterfly Legs: Lift your legs about 3 inches off the floor as you open and close, alternating one ankle over the other. After 8 alternating reps, slowly curl up into a ball for several seconds for a quick rest, then outstretch your body again to complete another 8 reps of butterfly legs. Your legs will never touch the floor on this move. Your shoulders should also be slightly off the floor. Do not arch your back. To modify, keep your head and shoulders resting on the floor.
4. Bicycle Crunches: Don’t pull on your neck during this move. Focus on drawing your shoulder up off the floor to the opposite knee. To modify, keep your legs bent with feet on floor and do the upper body movement only.
POST WORKOUT RECOVERY & NUTRITION
Although the focus is on abs, your legs will get a secondary workout. Be sure to stretch well with flowly Yoga-ish movements after the workout and eat clean throughout the day to encourage belly fat melting all day long.
Ohh my-gawsh! Just look at you. You are one sexy beyotch. ((winks))