Abs Makeover Workout

ABS MAKEOVER Abs Makeover Workout

I used to hate working my abs when my belly was super fatty. I couldn’t see any ab strengthening results because of the concrete fat layer. But you gotta keep working those abs anyway! Once the fat melts off your stomach, you’ll have a rockin’ set of abs that shines through. As for you moms out there, it’s extra important for us to work the abs to get those muscles strengthened and back in shape after being stretched by pregnancy.

This circuit doesn’t take long. Do this one on your “abs day”, or simply do it when you’re short on time. But if you’re the badass that I know you are, tack this circuit onto the beginning or end of your next cardio session.

Abs Makeover: FULL WORKOUT

There are three rounds in the circuit. Each round consists of 4 ab exercises:

• 4 reps: Stability ball tuck into pike
  • 8 reps: Full body tucks into leg reach
  • 8 alternating: butterfly legs
  • 12 reps: bicycle crunches (left leg + right leg = 1 rep)

INSTRUCTIONS, MODIFICATIONS & PROPER FORM

1. Stability Ball Tucks into Pike: This is an advanced move that requires upper body strength and good balance. You will need to stabilize and engage your ENTIRE body, especially the core. Do not let your hips drop. When I first started doing this exercise, I sucked at it really bad. There was a lot of falling off the ball, flopping around and cussing with every attempt. Just keep at it! The only way to improve at this exercise is to practice it often, so don’t get discouraged. To modify, start out by mastering the “tucks” part of this move before attempting the pike.

2. Full Body Tuck into Straight Leg Reach: Your legs will never touch the floor on this move. From an outstretched position, engage your abs as you slightly lift your booty off the floor to tuck in your legs & arms into a ball as demonstrated in the video. Then, reach up. Everything comes from the core as you tuck and reach. NOT your neck. Don’t arch your back.

3. Butterfly Legs: Lift your legs about 3 inches off the floor as you open and close, alternating one ankle over the other. After 8 alternating reps, slowly curl up into a ball for several seconds for a quick rest, then outstretch your body again to complete another 8 reps of butterfly legs. Your legs will never touch the floor on this move. Your shoulders should also be slightly off the floor. Do not arch your back. To modify, keep your head and shoulders resting on the floor.

4. Bicycle Crunches: Don’t pull on your neck during this move. Focus on drawing your shoulder up off the floor to the opposite knee. To modify, keep your legs bent with feet on floor and do the upper body movement only.

EQUIPMENT CHECKLIST

stability ball Abs Makeover Workout

POST WORKOUT RECOVERY & NUTRITION

Although the focus is on abs, your legs will get a secondary workout. Be sure to stretch well with flowly Yoga-ish movements after the workout and eat clean throughout the day to encourage belly fat melting all day long.

Ohh my-gawsh! Just look at you. You are one sexy beyotch.  ((winks))

√ HOME WORKOUT CENTRAL

Comments

1. Barbara says:

Love it! ChaLean abs day got me last week. Didn’t know if my abs were just sore or my internal organs were bruised. haha ;)
    Barbara recently posted..Toto, I Don’t Think We’re In Kansas Anymore!

Babies requre ab strengthening; C-sections (and i had 5 of those), require it even more. There’s no way i can work my abs too much, they need all the help they can get.

Thanks lady – so are you :P
    That ball stuff is crazy hard. Thanks for putting together things like this. It’s motivating and challenging and makes me want to do more. :) I’m totally trying this!
    Geosomin recently posted..Ah, middle manglement

4. Shannon says:

You are a machine! I think I may do this ab workout this evening.
    Shannon recently posted..Weigh In And What I Am Doing To Lose

5. Erica says:

Good stuff! Great ab routine. I must warn new moms to be careful about rushing too fast into ab work though. I think it didn’t help my diastasis recti!

• Yum Yucky says:

It’s so weird that I had never heard of diastasis recti until a few months ago. Knowing now, I think I had it at some point years ago, but it’s corrected itself at this point. thank goodness. and thanks for the flax egg info!
      Yum Yucky recently posted..Balls to the Wall Workout

6. LOVE!!! Have not done the second one so will be trying that one! I love the other ones too & they work!!!!! :) You look amazing!
    Jody – Fit at 55 recently posted..I am HOT with NO Apologies! And a Apology too! ;) Read on!

7. Ooh, awesome workout! I’ve been slacking on my abs lately… using this today!
    Laura @ Mommy Run Fast recently posted..Marathon day eats and drool-worthy recipes

8. LaShawn says:

Yeah I need this! before I had my son ( 3 years ago) my abs were beautiful! *weeping* Now, something about that dang on C section…..
    I’m going to try these tonight!
    LaShawn recently posted..A Reminder from Pinterest….

9. nancy singh says:

Totally love this site. Real women can feel good about themselves while they improve their lives.
    Keep up the great work you do. Improving lives one post at a time.

Nancy Singh