Cereal: List of Likely Geneticially Modified Brands

Have you read the recent NaturalNews.com article about 10 cereals most likely to contain Monsanto’s GMOs? Get over there and read the entire thing for yourself.

Here’s a snippet from that piece to flame your fire of enragement over all this GMO (genetically modified organism) bullshit:

“…I visited a local grocery store in Austin, Texas and purchased 10 breakfast cereals made with high levels of non-organic corn…. You may also notice that most of the cereals most likely to contain GM corn are children’s cereals. It is the children in America who are being fed the most GMOs. This represents a highly unethical food experiment being conducted on an entire generation, and the long-term effects of human consumption of GMOs are simply not known… What we do know is that rats fed this very same Monsanto GM corn developed shockingly large cancer tumors.”

The 10 “most likely GMO” cereals listed in the article are:

• Cocoa Puffs
  • Corn Chex
  • Frosted Flakes
  • Honey Graham Oh’s
  • Honey Nut Chex
  • Kashi Heart to Heart
  • Corn Flakes
  • Corn Pops
  • Kix
  • Peanut Butter Puffins

((sigh))

And then the article goes on to show some pretty terrible pictures of rats with tumors who were “fed a ‘lifetime’ of Monsanto’s GM corn”.

The author also states, “There is only one brand of breakfast cereal I know of that’s 100% non-GMO and 100% organic across their entire product line.” Find out which brand that is.

Proposition 37 is the push to label genetically modified foods (it’s being met with opposition by some big companies), so get informed about it and keep an eye on the #YesOn37 hashtag on Twitter.

If you’re not sold on the issue of GMO’s or it’s just not that important to you right now, at least think about your children, and your children’s children.

Side Note: Larabar is one “natural” company that opposes GMO labeling. Here’s how to make your own Larabar-ish treat instead.

This is gonna get much uglier if we sit back and allow the Monsanto and DuPont beasts to breed more destruction into our food supply. I’d sure as hell love to get at those companies with many drop kicks to their proverbial balls.

Comments

1. OMG!!!! Thats scary!!! I swear when I have kids Im making their breakfast (eggs, whole wheat break or tatoes anything but tumors in a bowl Geez!). Good post
    Ashley Esposito recently posted..Quote of the day!

2. Sheila says:

Oh my oatmeal batman! Time to get back to breakfast basics :)
    Sheila recently posted..New Beginnings

3. Sable@SquatLikeALady says:

Oh wow – that’s scary!!! I guess I will stay awayyyyyyy from the cereal box!!!

4. GREAT POST!! I have been tweeting & following here on my end since I am in CA. Thx Josie – tweeted!!!!
    Jody – Fit at 54 recently posted..Better Butt & Legs – Have them Screaming for More!

5. christieo says:

This is HORRENDOUS. As someone who’s HAD a tumor, no way in HELL i’m feeding this to my kids. Ever. Those pictures of those rats just make me cry. GMOs need to put in the same category of BPA and OFF OUR SHELVES!
    christieo recently posted..Running Naked.

6. Portia says:

There is so much crap on the shelves today that it boggles the mind. Props to you, Josie for pushing Real Food. I’ve been trying to weed non-GMO food out of our house for the last year but it’s really hard and you have to really learn to read lables. I saw this article and was stunned that Kashi (which promotes itself as being all natural was one of the offending companies.) It shows you that you need to do your homework and not just take a company’s word for it. Informative post. Thanks for sharing.
    Portia recently posted..My Working Mom Travel Ritual & How I Finally Got A Grip

7. Barbara says:

It is so maddening that the government that allows poison in our food supply also wants control of our healthcare. Oh, Lordy…..somebody get me a soapbox.
    Barbara recently posted..Is It October Yet?

As a genetic researcher I really do want to stress that GMOs are usually modified to be pesticide resistant. It is the increased pesticide use, in my mind, that makes these crops particularly evil for eating. The GM food itself, is not modified in a way that would cause cancer in your body. Seriously. There’s a lot of misunderstanding out there about exactly what GMOs are. GMOs in and of themselves are not poison. It’s the chemicals and crap that come with them that are the evilness…which is why I avoid them. I think the sort of GMO a food is should clearly be stated on the food i eat. I want to be ablet o decide for myself what I’m eating and look at it to know whether it is safe or not and I do not have this ability. This is wrong. I try and buy local organic and eat from scratch because I cannot trust governments or companies to be honest and completely forthcoming about what I’m being sold as food. That is crazy…I could rant on this for hours. I’ll stop now…
    Yes…I’m cranky about it…because I miss Corn Flakes…sniff….
    I disagree with Monsanto and other such companies on ethical grounds…

9. Thank you thank you thank you for all you do…
    KCLAnderson (Karen) recently posted..#selfacceptance at #fitbloggin*

10. Emergefit says:

Kix…? Kills me because that’s been marketed so much as a health alternative for kids. Pure ugliness.
    Emergefit recently posted..The Strength To Quit…

11. Oh noooo! Not Heart to Heart and Puffins. What a bummer. :(
    The Duo Dishes recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: Crumpets for Brunch

GM crap needs to be clearly labeled, so that we at least know what we are getting.

This stuff enrages me, too.

13. Great post. We stopped all cereal about 6 months ago except oatmeal and that is organic non-gmo. Now I am glad we did.
    Trish @I_am_Succeeding recently posted..It’s a First

14. Angela Pea says:

Yep. Totally glad that all of my kids HATE breakfast cereal. I taught them all how to make pancakes (from scratch, not a mix) just as soon as they were tall enough safely flip them over the griddle. And how to scramble an egg.

Most of the time, though, they eat last night’s leftovers for breakfast. This morning the boys grabbed a couple sliders on the way out the door.

That’s good going, momma. My youngest kids are at the stage of being able to help with food prep (before actually cooking it). I’d like to slide some of those sliders into my stomachs right about now. Sounds tasty.

15. cassandre says:

wow, this is scary. we have to be so cautious and take control of what we allow our kids to eat. i buy Cascadian Farm cereal.. i really like it and i can understand whats in it when reading the ingredient label.. thanks for this info.
    cassandre recently posted..The Power of Community – My Fitbloggin Recap

16. WoW! Scary, terrifying, horrific, and not that surprising at all… all at the same time. Even “Natural” doesn’t seem to be all that natural anymore. When did it all come to this? I reckon it began around the same time that common sense became, well, uncommon. Great article! Thanks for sharing!

17. merri says:

These are not things I would feed myself or kids anyway because most of these things contain HFCS. I noticed when I was visiting my family in NH the Aug before last and in a ‘real’ non-city grocery store that everything, besides being dirt cheap, is scary bad for you, with lots of things claiming to be healthy, trying to fool people into buying them, if they don’t take time to read the labels. I spent the time to show my parents that some of these ‘healthy’ foods they get aren’t as healthy as they think. I worry about my niece…
    merri recently posted..Rambling Porch Rememberings

18. Lisa says:

The more I hear about Monsanto, the more freaked out I get! I seriously need to move to a farm or compound and grow all my food. It’s so scary the crap they put in food now. :(
    Lisa recently posted..7 Things I Learned Training for a Century