Natural Cures & Home Remedies For Cold Sores And Fever Blisters (HSV1)

Ack! Cold Sores and Fever Blisters. They’re both officially called Herpes Simplex Virus I (HSV1), but no matter what you call it, it 100% sucks.

Studies show that more than 60% of the population has the virus (and even as much as 91%), so even if you’ve never displayed symptoms of cold sores, you could still be a carrier.

Many people contracted the virus as a child, like I did. I had to deal with my first cold sore outbreak around the age of seven (my guess is from sharing a cup or straw with someone). The outbreaks got worse and became more painful as I got older. Over the years I’ve tried all kinds of over-the-counter pharmaceutical crap to treat cold sores. What a waste of money!

Cold sores can show up on the mouth, face, inside the nose or inside the mouth (a canker sore). Conventional medicine claims there is no cure, but doggone-it, I’m cured! Just call me the poster child of home remedy miracles. M’kay?

My cold sore outbreaks completely stopped altogether in May of 2010. I’ll tell you how in just a sec. Let’s first rewind to 2009. This when I learned to manage the cold sores successfully:

A. I reduced outbreak time to only 2-3 days instead of a week or more.

B. I fought emerging blisters — stopped them from ever erupting.

Toothpaste Remedy A: By applying a thin layer of toothpaste to blisters (the old school, basic Colgate brand works best) the cold sore will not be able to progress any further, and will begin to dry out very quickly. In my experience it takes 2-3 days until full healing using this method. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is the active ingredient in toothpaste that inhibits the blisters. SLS is found in the majority of shampoos, soaps and toothpastes on the market (just check your stash of beauty products), yet SLS is also a controversial ingredient because it can cause skin irritation. There’s also a debate on whether is has carcinogenic properties.

Toothpaste Remedy B: Apply toothpaste to the area at the very first tingle that signals blisters will develop within hours or next day. The quicker you apply toothpaste at the first tingle, the greater chance you have of NOT developing any blisters at all. Keep a travel size tube of toothpaste in your bag. If you have to wait to apply toothpaste until you get home, it may be too late to prevent blisters. If you are too late, just proceed to Toothpaste Remedy A, above.

If you’re not into the toothpaste method, here are a few other cold sore treatments that people swear by:

• L-lysine Ointment Natural Cures & Home Remedies For Cold Sores And Fever Blisters (HSV1) (aka, “lysine”): “Studies show that lysine supplements and lysine-based ointment may shorten the duration of cold sore outbreaks by keeping the (cold sore) herpes simplex virus from replicating”. ~ source
  • Vitamin C: Go on and keep up on your Vitamin C supplements and/or sources of Vitamin C-rich foods, but creating a paste and applying a directly to the area will also help reduce outbreak time. Just break up the tablet — squash the hell out of it as best you can — and add a few drops of water to create the paste to apply as an ointment.
  • Baking Soda: The same paste-making principle applies. A few drips of water to make a thick paste. Apply to the affected area for about 10-minutes and rinse. This treatment may also work for canker sores.

…and now getting back to how I got rid of cold sores forever. Leading up to 2010, I was dealing with outbreaks every 6-8 weeks. It was horrible. It was painful. It was ugly looking. The “toothpaste methods A & B” worked very well to control it, but I was still guaranteed to have to deal with the threat of another outbreak at any time.

Then, in 2010, I accidentally discovered my cure:

I did a 7-Day sugar detox: This was major turning point for me. Those 7-days without sugar actually turned into 30 days without the crap. After this point, I found myself in full control of my sugary food choices. I was no longer addicted. I started eating a little bit of sugar again, but many foods were now nasty to me. Sugary treats were by choice only, and in extreme moderation. It wasn’t until nine months after the 7-day sugar detox began that I realized that I had NOT had another cold sore outbreak. Whoa… WOW!

Then a full year went by. And then another year. And now here I am today, still free from cold sores after making this major change in sugar consumption. I had suffered from cold sores almost off of my life, and then suddenly, it was over.

High sugar intake and a poor diet in general (including the ingestion of artificial sweeteners, like HFCS, Aspartame and Sucralose/Splenda) will compromise your immune system. A compromised immune system cannot properly fight against viruses. Do you see where I’m going with this? You might also want to Google other “cold sore triggers”, as I hear nuts and high carbs diets may also be culprits. I also take a colloidal silver every day, which is reported by users to kill even a supposed un-killable viruses that attacks the body.

If conventional medicine has not worked for you, please don’t throw in the towel. If you’re dealing with a cold sore issue or know someone who is, get on the home remedy bandwagon right away!

MORE NATURAL HEALTH TOPICS

Comments

1. Timmy says:

Cold sore will come back when your immune system is surpassed. This means that you want to make sure you have high thyroid function. If you have high thyroid function then you will increase the strength of your immune system. Eating more often as will as light therapy can help. Even someone as simple as going to bed early can really help someone.

Interesting. I’ve been lucky that I’ve managed to avoid cold sores. Can’t say I’ve ever had one…mostly because my mum was a nurse and so we were never allowed to share lip balm, etc etc etc and were very careful about not sharing anything with friends who had them and I”m glad, because once you’ve got them, they keep popping up. The sugar connection is fascinating. A friend of mine is inundated with them, especially under times of stress – I will pass this on.
    Geosomin recently posted..Chahching

More confirmation of my hypothesis that refined sugar is a white powder like cocaine or heroin for a reason.

4. j3nn says:

Excellent advice! My husband gets them occasionally, especially when he’s super stressed out. The last time he used licorice extract, which helped a lot. I just relayed the toothpaste tip to him. Thanks!
    j3nn recently posted..There are GAPS in My Life

5. skippymom says:

My Mom and sister had them their whole lives – both crappy eaters. I stayed away when the had them and neither me nor anyone in my family has gotten them. The sugar is interesting. I am the same way with salt now two years later. Canned, boxed and frozen food is so gross – and potato chips are OFF the hook salty. YICK.

Now. I have my new car. When do I get my first invite? I promise not to bring sweets. Okay, not that many sweets. heehee LOVE YOU!
    skippymom recently posted..Meet Oscar

6. skippymom says:

PS the Oscar in “Meet Oscar” is my car. You might not want me parked in your driveway come to think of it. giggle
    skippymom recently posted..Meet Oscar

7. John says:

I’ve noticed that if I’m starting to get sick and eat or drink really acidic foods or drinks, like anything citrus, I often get a canker sore. I rarely drink orange juice anymore when I’m sick, and instead drink cranberry juice which has more vitamin C anyways.

8. Sharon says:

I’ve used crushed vitamin C for years now. It can be painful but after two out breaks and devoted use I did not have a event for almost 15 years. And my close family never contracted. The key is to treat before the blister comes out. I’ll put tooth paste in my bag today.

9. Val says:

Knowing at what stage of the cold sore you are at is always helpful to design an approach to tackle it. You don’t want to trying to pop a cold sore that does not need popping, and milk isn’t going to have any effect on a blister.
    Val recently posted..Cold Sore Stages

10. Ahaa, its fastidious discussion on the topic of
    this piece of writing here at this weblog, I have read all that, so now me also commenting at this place.
    colon cleanse recently posted..colon cleanse

11. weight loss says:

Veryy good information. Luck me I found your website by chance (stumbleupon).
    I’ve book marked it for later!
    weight loss recently posted..weight loss

12. Dave says:

I don’t know about toothpaste, but I do know that supercharging the innate immune system can help prevent outbreaks.

Toothpaste definitely works to manage an outbreak that’s already occurred, but I do agree with you that keeping up the immune system is the best defense for prevention of an outbreak. Thanks for stopping by!

13. Oscar says:

You got it , sugar is the trigger for me , I realized that every time I had coffee w/ sugar i was getting indigestion , not long after I would have the out breaks . First I thought it was the coffee since I drink it all the time but than I realized I would get indigestion every time I ate something sweet , so than I stopped the sugar intake and what do you know no more cold soars . I’m glad to see that u was right about the sugar

14. tommy says:

Below you Muestros some natural treatments to cure herpes
    1 – You can supplement one of the natural treatments to cure herpes with daily doses of zinc and vitamin C. You can also consider a special diet , with foods that help fight the virus.
    2 – Natural herpes treatment can take the form of completing therapy , where you can take important daily dose of combating herpes natural supplements such as zinc , lysine and vitamin C.
    3- black tea is often wonderful for itching that produce genital herpes. You just have to prepare a well- loaded infusion, with two tablespoons per cup. Let cool and applied directly to the area. Some also choose to put cold tea bags .
    4 – Other natural treatments for herpes cure is to place ice cubes in a plastic bag or cloth and applying it for 15 minutes ( repeat several times a day ) on the affected area . You will see as you soothe the pain.
    5 – A daily intake of fresh fruits and vegetables such as papayas , carrots , figs , apricots, apples, cabbage , beets , mango, etc. . should be included in the diet . Avoid sugar , junk foods and alcohol, and smoking should cease completely.

15. Meredith says:

Great post. I am dealing with some of these issues as well..
    Meredith recently posted..Meredith

Trackbacks

1. [...] Natural Cures & Home Remedies For Cold Sores And Fever Blisters … [...]

2. […] Natural Cures & Home Remedies For Cold Sores And Fever Blisters … http://www.yumyucky.com/2012/08/natural-cures-home-remedies-for-cold-sores-and-fever-blisters-hsv1.html Aug 25, 2012 … Just call me the poster child of home remedy miracles. M'kay? My cold sore outbreaks completely stopped altogether in May of 2010. I'll tell you … […]

3. […] Natural Cures & Home Remedies For Cold Sores And Fever Blisters … http://www.yumyucky.com/Cold sores can show up on the mouth, face, inside the nose or inside the mouth (a canker sore). Conventional medicine claims there is no cure, but doggone-it, I'm cured! Just call me the poster child of home remedy miracles. […]