Hidden Excitotoxins In Food Are Affecting You And Your Family

This is an entry level primer on excitotoxins. Get familiar with it here, then do some research on your own. It’s an important subject that affects you and your family. Don’t neglect to educate yourself!

WHAT ARE EXCITOTOXINS?

Excitotoxins are additives found in processed and packaged foods & drinks that affect the neurological function. These additives offer no nutritional benefit. Primary culprits are MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) and Aspartame (NutraSweet). Both are used to enhance flavor and/or mask the unpleasant taste of other ingredients in a food product. Excitotoxins may also go under the guise of other names, such as “hydrolyzed” ingredients, yeast extract, glutamate and “natural flavors”, to name a few. Unless you’re some type of super-human creature with a central nervous system made of steel, the evil of excitotoxins will catch up to you.

Excitotoxins negatively react with receptors in the brain, causing them to “excite” and fire abnormally. The result is cell damange and/or cell death. This neurological disruption leading to mis-firing of the brain is due to high concentrates of glutamate in the blood“…when you consume MSG, your blood levels can reach twenty-fold higher than normal. A brain doesn’t know how to handle twenty-fold-higher-than normal monosodium glutamate. Neither do the liver, the muscles or the other organ systems. The brain wasn’t designed that way.” ~ Dr. Russell Blaylock, neurosurgeon and authority on excitotoxins.

SHORT LIST OF EXCITOTOXIN SYMPTOMS / ADVERSE REACTIONS

Migraines, brain fog, asthma, panic, diarrhea, dizziness, blurred vision, bladder control problems, irritable bowl syndrome, and gluten allergy are just a few. MSG and other excitotoxins may lead to or exacerbate other conditions, such as Alzheimer’s, Austism, Asthma, ADHD, ALS, Multiple Sclerosis, and Parkinson’s and obesity.

“In hundreds of studies around the world, scientists were creating obese mice and rats to use in diet or diabetes test studies.  No strain of rat or mice is naturally obese, so scientists have to create them.  They make these creatures morbidly obese by injecting them with MSG when they are first born.  The MSG triples the amount of insulin the pancreas creates, causing rats (and perhaps humans) to become obese.  They even have a name for the fat rodents they create ‘MSG-Treated Rats’.” ~ source

• Michael J. Fox, Parkinson’s and Aspartame: Michael was a Diet Pepsi spokesman and excessive drinker of this neurotoxin. He began suffering from Parkinson’s at an oddly young age. The Aspartame ingredient in Diet Pepsi widely believed to be the culprit.
  • MSG and Austism: A must-read if you have young children or know someone with a child displaying symptoms of autism.

PARTIAL LIST OF FOODS CONTAINING MSG AND/OR OTHER EXCITOTOXINS

• diet soda
  • baby food
  • dressings
  • boxed dinner meals
  • diet foods
  • diet drinks
  • low-fat foods
  • Accent seasoning
  • fast food
  • packaged mixes, sauces and gravies
  • energy drinks
  • Aspartame
  • live virus vaccines
  • soy sauce
  • some brands of protein powder
  • “hydrolyzed” ingredients
  • “natural flavors” ingredients

FDA’S POSITION ON MSG: “The Committee notes that the new information on long-term oral administration of MSG is the diet to various animal species has revealed no adverse effects…”

Seriously, FDA? C’mon! Strong lobbying efforts by the bastard food industry is very likely to make the FDA’s position stick. It’s up to you and I to police the packaged foods we purchase, but it may be difficult to completely cut out MSG due to deceptive food labeling. Yet it’s absolutely 100% possible to cut out Aspartame right now. I don’t care how much you love your zero calorie diet drinks. Get that shizz outta your mouth right now for your own health’s sake!

Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills Hidden Excitotoxins In Food Are Affecting You And Your Family

If you believe you may be suffering from the symptoms of excitotoxins, start migrating towards cleaner eating (more fresh, unprocessed whole foods) right away. Give it some time and take note of any diminishing symptoms. Be sure to tell your friends and family about the dangers of excitotoxins in foods. Everyone you love needs to know about it.

MORE NATURAL HEALTH TOPICS

Comments

Interesting about MJ Fox. I’d read his Parkinson’s was linked to the recreational drug use in his Family Ties days. I didn’t know about the Aspartame link.
    There was a whole documentary on the Nature of Things (a Canadian Science show) I watched tonight (when I should have been studying) about chemicals that mimic hormones and other compounds in our body, that are slowly being linked to obesity and other health conditions. Fascinating and scary stuff how little we know about food additives and how regulations are not designed for our benefit. The FDA really does very little to deal with issues like this, and ignores a great deal of publisheed evidence with regards to MSG and a lot of other additives.
    I would argue that if you have to wait for a verifiable human ill-response in order to respond to something you are going at safety regulations backwards…
    Geosomin recently posted..joy

2. Willpower says:

Very well stated. Love it, now if i could just get the hubby to drink something else like water instead of diet (craploaded aspertain.) MSG is one of the first things i started paying attention to on lables and I was young. I didnt want my system to have any altered affects because of it.

3. You do SUCH a good job of explaining these things with enough detail…but not too much. I had never heard of these compounds but it probably explains a lot about how much better I feel (and a few lbs I lost) when I cut out diet soda. I WISH people would be more willing to consider food/nutrition solutions to GI problems but many are willing to do ANYTHING except make big eating changes. Ugh! Great write-up, thanks!
    Cort the Sport recently posted..Team USA: The Process from Nationals to Now

• Yum Yucky says:

thank you, Cort! It takes awhile to research and put the info together, but it’s more than worth it to be informing and empowering all of my good Interwebs friends like YOU!

4. Barbara says:

I gave up aspartame/splenda/etc about two years before I had my first child. Never really noticed any difference after stopping and I was a BIG Diet Pepsi drinker but I know I’m surely better off. Kids have never had an artificial sweetener.

I hope Xylitol is still considered OK. We use that sometimes but normally, we just use real sugar, keep the portions small, and move on to healthier fare the rest of the day.
    Barbara recently posted..Finding The Right Gym

5. Joanna says:

I nominated you for an award on my blog!!
    Joanna recently posted..Friday’s Letters

Well said. This is why i eat an almost exclusively raw vegan diet; i was tired of being obese.

7. @somerskys says:

Hi Josie thanks so much for the info on EXCITOTOXINS ya know since i am a brain hemmorage survivor, this information is VERY important to me! So thanks so much, for alerting us. DONT WANT ANYBODY TO have to start all over again LEARNING TO WALK AND TALK, BECAUSE OF SOME STUPID FOOD PRODUCT THAT the food powers didnt tell us about. anyway thanks josie!

• Yum Yucky says:

I’m so glad I could get this info to you especially!! You have the power to boost your brain power by avoiding these foods!! Love you @somerskys!!! xoxo

8. Josie – thank you so much for posting this! I am in the process of trying to “clean up” my eating, although I do confess to using Splenda (gasp!) in my morning coffee. Well worth the read & well worth inching away from the stuff!
    Kelly @CurvyFitGirl recently posted..Day 1,049 – WI Results.

9. Patrick says:

Super informative read, but from you, super is what we get her so often.

I gotta ponder some more changes it seems.

Soy Sauce? Really -why?? Please say it ain’t so!!!
    Patrick recently posted..Buds n One Beer

10. Glenn says:

What am amazing amount of information. I gave up diet soda earlier this year for other reasons, but this article seals the deal for me. I wnt miss it. Thanks.
    Glenn recently posted..NeighborhoodTrainer Talk Hosts Exclusive Interview with Tony Cortopassi

11. I am reading these weekend posts but just get to them later than I want to! :-) You are amazing Josie!!!!!
    Jody – Fit at 54 recently posted..Leg Workout; Gardein Giveaway Winner

Trackbacks

1. [...] the Food Industry is Destroying Our Brains and Harming Our Children by Carol Simontacchi ~ SITES ~ http://www.yumyucky.com/2012/08/hidden-excitotoxins-in-food-are-affecting-you-and-your-family.html ~ Yum Yucky… Hidden Excitotoxins In Food Are Affecting You And Your Family ~ [...]