Cheesecake’s Most Wanted

8:15 pm. Somebody bangin’ on my door with a heavy, closed fist like they’re the dang police and I am Most Wanted. It scared the hell outta me. I’m an outrage in at least 49 states, after all.

So I go to door. It’s a neighborhood kid begging cheesecake orders for her softball fundraiser.

“Emmm. Sure, kid. Put me down for a whole New York style cheesecake. And be quick about it. I’ve got more couch-assing to do.”

((writes check for $22 and hands to snot-nosed kid))

So yeah. When it gets here I’m gonna eat a slice (or two) and force the rest on others. Maybe freeze it and wait for a good time to share it as party food or something. It’s a very magical plan.

I’m not going to restrict other calories or over-do my workouts for the sake of a cheesecake slice eaten. Just gonna gnaw on the damn thing and keep it moving. It’s not a big freaking deal if a slice of cheesecake steps into my life amid salads and lean proteins and sweaty, hardcore workouts.

I don’t give greedy isolated incidents the power to think it can trainwreck my healthy lifestyle. I cannot be threatened. I’m the one in control. Decadent food and fitness can indeed co-exist when you look at it from the right perspective. Total restriction makes for a very boring life, and that is NOT the way I chose to live.

I am cheesecake’s most wanted (yippeeee!!!). You got a problem with that?

Comments

1. skippymom says:

A lot of people that are trying to lose weight don’t realize that sweets and treats can be kept in a diet, but in moderation. In fact eating healthy requires that you not over do one food [lettuce, fruits, whatever the” fad” is that month] but to eat a variety to keep you interested.  By denying one slice of cheesecake or a serving of Doritos because it doesn’t “fit” in their weight loss plan it makes them want it that much more when it does pass by them.
    I can’t tell you how many times I have heard “I ate great all week and exercised, but I had a piece of birthday cake at the party today.  Since I had already “blown my plan” I offered to take the rest of the cake home. I couldn’t resist because it tasted so good. I hadn’t had cake in forever, so I polished it off.  I will just start all over again tomorrow.” [Lather, rinse, repeat] That one piece of cake isn’t blowing anything, it was just satisfying a craving for a sweet treat.  Had they gone forward and not polished off the rest of cake [or the whole bag of Doritos instead of a serving] they would have still stayed on even footing with their diet and exercise because they had been working it and didn’t need to start over – just continue with no more cake after the initial piece.  Eating healthy and being fit can be a “having your cake and eating it too” lifestyle. If done in moderation.

I applaud you because you know you and you know it will be fine. Again. In moderation. :)

Hugs my friend. :)

2. anabels says:

All things in moderation – including moderation!

3. Miz says:

I buy everything these kids sell….then give away :)

4. Sugar is hard for me to moderate. Cheesecake? Impossible. I’d dive in at one end and not come up for air.

5. Mark says:

But $22.00????
    m.

6. @somerskys says:

me 2 barbara! but wait theres more! i will continue to exercise when i come up for air! thanks josie,good article, which motivates me to, when i fall get back up again and do xercise and try not to fall all da way! thanks again, women, for reminding me. luv u and this blog!!!!! O.M. GOODNESS!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS BLOG!!

7. Emergefit says:

I’m actually writing about this right now, to be posted in a few weeks. The fitness world has gone fucking mad. The quest for perfection is at an all-time high, and the judgment of others as well. At this point I could give a frog’s fat ass if I eat cheesecake or pizza, or both. The goal in life is to live, love, enjoy, and to just be. The fitness community has become obsessed with looking like action figures and eating unrealistically. I’m just not there anymore. Glad you’re not either :-)

8. Molly Nitka says:

cheesecake is my nemesis. I usually kick its ass though.

9. I have my treat cookies on the weekend – BIG OLE COOKIES! Part of my life. I work out like I normally do & I enjoy my cookie treats! :-) Even when I had the forced layoff from workouts, I still had them! :-)

You’ve gotta have cheesecake every once in a while or all this hard work is just plain wasted :)
    The trick is to not have the whole cake at once…

11. Pk says:

This isn’t just a way to look at diet but the ONLY way, in my humble opinion. Otherwise, one McDonalds run or giant Sundae splurge becomes an excuse to completely derail the healthy lifestyle that makes you feel so good. I love food and that ain’t gonna change but now I make the right choice most of the time and enjoy the hell out of my favorite “bad” foods on occasion without the slightest regret. I’m 20 pounds down and with this mentality I’m staying that way.

12. Hungry Jenny says:

Just make sure you cut it into slices first before digging in, rather than just attacking straight away with a fork, that’s where I always go wrong…
    But you know, if you need help finishing that cheesecake off, I’ll be waiting right here with a hefty fork.

Hungry Jenny x

13. Cheesecake can’t get me…I’m lactose intolerant. If I have more than three bites, I’m writhing in pain a few minutes later!

But I definitely have my own “cheesecakes” in my life. Girl scout cookies…and FRENCH FRIES. It’s always difficult for me to pass them up!

14. merri says:

im about the only one in the world who doesnt like cheesecake. but yes, i agree with your thought. whenever i have something that’s not so great for me with my friends, then other people look at us and go oh no how can you have that like we’re some horrible people. BUT 1) our bad for you stuff really isn’t that bad, cuz its usually natural etc and 2) it’s not what you do once in a while that counts, it’s what you do on a regular basis. if you eat healthy and exercise healthy 99% of the time, you don’t sweat the other stuff. yay.