Goal Setting Is Not Enough. You Need Ass Movers, Too.

poleclimber Goal Setting Is Not Enough. You Need Ass Movers, Too.As your brain cells have probably concocted through visual observation, my ass was struggling to get up that pole. The pic is from the pathetic pole climbing blog post where I boldly proclaimed…

“I double-dare myself to get to the top of that dang pole. It may take a month. It may takes six months. It better not take a year.”

Over two years later, and I still haven’t made it up that damn pole. I barely even tried.

It was a goal, but I didn’t have a plan of attack. This so-called goal was really nothing more than a stank brain fart of an idea. And it went stagnant inside my cranium, collecting rotten maggot residue and other offensive non-actions.

BUT WHY?

Because I never put expectations on myself, nor did I hold myself accountable to achieve it. There’s obviously is a difference between a real goal and a stank brain fart. Obviously.

But what sets the two apart?

Expectations and Accountability.  These are the two powerhouses that MUST be in the mix. I call them “ass movers”, because they get your ass moving closer to your goals. Expectations get you taking action, because anything less would be unacceptable, and Accountability obligates you to follow through ‘lest you have to face up to explaining why you didn’t.

Yet I dare to say most of us place higher expectations on other people than we do on ourselves. If other people (spouse, kids, co-worker, friend, etc) don’t meet our expectations, we have a bitch fit, complain to others about it, hold them accountable for it and demand they get their shit together and not fluck up again. Tell me I’m wrong. No?

But on ourselves? Do you demand you get your shit together right then and there? Or it is a more lackadaisical approach where you get around to doing better. Eventually.

When you fluck up, treat yourself as you would someone else you have expectations of. Don’t whine and get wussy and curl into a ball of supposed failure. Get pissed about it. Even get a little mad. Call it “contained fury”, if you will. Then translate that fury into ass-moving actions.

Pole climbing is no longer a goal of mine, but the goals I do have are infested with expectations and accountability. So now it’s your turn. Put on a pair of ass movers and git to it!

Ps. Don’t just read this post and then go off somewhere to pick up your nostrils or braid your armpit hairs. You need to seriously be thinking of what Expectations and Accountability mean in the grand plan of your goals.

Comments

1. Joanna says:

If making goals and not following through was a crime – I’d have been given a life sentence without the possibility of parole by now.  It’s definitely my most worse offense.

What makes it worse is when I don’t reach my goal, I just make another one…and give myself all kinds of excuses as to why I didn’t reach the first goal.

I’ve recently made a goal to get in to a size 16 by May 17th (my last day of work for the summer).  Even though I made this goal – and a handful of mini goals to go along with it – I haven’t really given myself any accountability to go along with it.  That’s what I’m going to work on tonight!

Thanks!

2. Carrie says:

This is great. And you’re so right. If I placed the same expectations on myself that I do everyone else, it’d be a whoooole different story.

3. Jenny says:

You totally CRACK ME UP!  You are so right. Gonna get my tush movers in place.

4. I am kinda hard on myself so I have to tread lightly! ;-) BUT I do set out to conquer certain things & at times I may decide it ain’t worth it. Like my pull-ups, I got a couple but getting there made my back way too wide AND honestly, I was never gonna get to more than a couple without major weight & I had other body parts & things that were more important to me – so I guess we have to prioritize our goals.. :-)

You are so right. Having so much going on with school and work has shown me that I can do a lot if I plan. If I work. No plan = things may get done, but not well. Not as good as they could be. And perhaps not without me losing my sanity. True, some things aren’t worth stressing over, but there are so many little goals that can make you feel inspired. I like them to keep me going.  Yoda knew what he was talking about…do or do not – there is no try.
    The ass movers MAKE it happen. :)

6. Great post!

According to research, these three things are proven to help people reach goals:

1. Writing it down
    2. Accountability
    3. Commitment

Check out my site for a systematic way to reach goals.

I just wrote about how I’ve been struggling with S.M.A.R.T. goals, and now I see I got the acronym all wrong! It should be Stank-free Moving-Ass Real Tantalizing.

8. Cassie says:

goal setting is so key.. without goals you have no direction.. i’m all about small goals.. they help accomplish your bigger goals..

9. tamara says:

Great post!! Expectations and accountability. You hit it right on the money!!! I should hold myself more accountable and now I will. Thanks!