Hot Body Home Workout #1 and Post-Workout Breakfast Ideas

Hey guys, here’s the first of many Hot Body Home Workouts to come! If you can’t get to the gym or if home workouts are simply your thang, it’s time to get up off your booty and get it moving.

After a thorough warm-up: Select your circuit level (Level 1, 2 or 3), consisting of basic moves that only get tougher depending on which level you choose. Then move onto the optional “Hotter Body Challenge” to top off your workout on an extra sweaty, fat burning note.

LEVEL 1 equipment needed: optional exercise mat or carpeted area

• 3-5 knee push-ups (on mat or carpeting)
  • 8 squats (feet slight wider than shoulder-width)
  • 8 alternating reverse lunges

Complete this beginner’s circuit 2-3 times.

• Level 1 Hotter Body Challenge (optional): After finishing your circuits, set your interval timer for 5 rounds of 45/15. Each 1-minute round  = 45 seconds brisk march in place + 15 seconds slow march in place.

LEVEL 2 equipment needed: one 8-10#dumbbell, optional exercise mat or carpeted area

• 5 full body push-ups + 5 knee push-ups
  • 12 squat jumps
  • 10 alternating reverse lunges, holding one 8-10# dumbbell in both hands close to your chest.

Complete this intermediate circuit 3-4 times.

• Level 2 Hotter Body Challenge (optional): After finishing your circuits, set your interval timer for 5 rounds of 45/15. Each 1-minute round = 45 seconds “invisible” rope skipping + 15 seconds brisk march in place.

LEVEL 3 equipment needed: one 8-10#dumbbell, optional exercise mat or carpeted area

• 10 full body push-ups
  • 15 squat jumps
  • 16 alternating  reverse lunges, holding one 8-10# dumbbell or medicine ball overhead. Keep that core tight!

Complete this advanced circuit 4 times.

• Level 3 Hotter Body Challenge (optional): After finishing your circuits, set your interval timer for 5 rounds of 45/15. Each 1-minute round = 45 seconds brisk high knee jog + 15 seconds march in place. Get those knees up!

Josie’s finishing time: 4 rounds of Level Three in 7.18 minutes.

gymboss Hot Body Home Workout #1 and Post Workout Breakfast Ideas

your Interval Timer setting

Post-workout breakfast ideas:

Comments

1. bossygirl says:

Thanks Josie! Even though I worked out 5 times this week.. I need to get more cardio IN…. I needed this!

2. alexis says:

Great Post! Love working out and staying in shape. Cheers, stay healthy

3. Miz says:

<3 this.
    there are NO excuses not to do this.
    we dont need a fancypants gym!

4. Belinda M. says:

Thanks Josie! Finding a consistent workout is challenging for me. I’m training for my second half marathon and struggle with strength training. I feel like I’m either lacking something or need more. I added squat jumps last week. This is my confirmation I should be doing them.

yay! keep these coming! I’m trying to find some home workouts I can do some days. This is just the thing. I think I’ll try this out this week Thanks :)

6. NO EXCUSES!!!!

Any ideas for squat jump alternates for those of us with iffy knees? I’m itching to try this but don’t want to gibble my knee again…

• Yum Yucky says:

Hmmm. I’m not sure exactly how much your knees can take, but try the Globe Jumps instead (maybe). You can make the squats VERY, very shallow and still get an excellent cardio interval from the “globe” part. here’s a video. the guy is squatting deep and jumping high, but just keep your squats shallow instead and keep the globe part going strong. Basically, just modify as little or as much as needed:

@Yum Yucky, Thanks – those look a bit nicer to the knees. I’ll give them a go and see how they feel. If nothing else I can just do squats without the jumps I suppose and maybe skipping after. :)
    Now I”m all pumped to do this at lunch instead of a walk. Hmmm…Think I might walk down by the river at lunch and have a go :)

9. Mkay, this is going on my Facebook page in the morning when everyone isn’t already drinking margaritas.

10. Nathen says:

Great post mate.Keep doing nice work.
    Nathen recently posted..Tacoma Fitness- Push Up Your Problems Away