Rodney Yee is My Top Yoga Pick

yeeyoga Rodney Yee is My Top Yoga Pick…and let me tell you why.

I’ve tried a lot of Yoga DVDs. Too many to count. I have a useless stack of ‘em buried in the basement where I make the husband sleep. Some of the DVDs were a let down. Others left me wanting. And then there’s the Yoga flicks that put me in contorted, uncomfortable poses and made me feel like a Yoga loser.

But I am not a loser, dammit.

I was about to abandon Yoga until I discovered that cool Asian dude, Rodney Yee. He brought out the best in me with Yoga benefits that are truly priceless. You can’t buy this stuff:

• Mental clarity and lower stress levels.
  • The feeling of a weight off my shoulders
  • Faster “rest day” recovery.
  • Restorative ability to aid in injury.

My top Yoga DVD pick is Rodney’s Ultimate Power Yoga. This DVD comes with 5 workouts, ranging from 15-20 minutes long. Do one, or combine a few for a longer Yoga experience.

Greedy Kid #2’s Ultimate Power Experience:

My kid used Workout 1 (Power Foundation) to recover from a painful hip injury during his first season of Cross Country in his 9th grade year. As a new distance runner, the season was pretty rough on his body. Greedy Kid’s hip would howl and not even the fancy Orthopaedic doctor’s advice made it any better. The dang kid was still in pain under medical care and could barely walk normally at times, so I forced asked him to try the DVD (he was brand new to Yoga).

When his running was manageable, he would come home after practice and jump right into Power Foundation. The DVD’s restorative magic went to work and Kid #2 made a complete recovery over the course of a few weeks. Go figure.

My Own Ultimate Power Experience:

In 2002 I was hit by a car while crossing the street and came out with a back injury. Physical therapy was a bitch. I was repeatedly cold-packed, heat-packed, back-cracked, electrical muscle stimulated, and way more. The infliction of treatment was so bad one day that I almost passed out. They had to pull out the smelling salt to bring me back to full consciousness.

In addition to my doctor (a rehab specialist), I was treated for nearly 9 months by two different Chiropractors and two different physical therapists before medical benefits ran out. I was definitely doing better than on day one of the accident, yet still in a level of pain that caused daily discomfort and sadness…for 9 long years. Remember, that accident happened in 2002, but I didn’t find Rodney’s Yoga, and Workout 5 (Ultimate Power Restoration), until early 2011.

Workout 5 focuses on a series of forward bends and elongated stretches that restored my back and prevents the pain from returning. If I stay away from Yoga far too long, I sometimes start whining when I feel small inklings of pain and tightness return, but one session of Workout 5 is enough to get me into maintenance mode so I can enjoy a pain-free back.

I also made big time progress with general flexibility of my entire body that “athletic-type stretching” never delivered.

Here are some quick sample clips from the DVD to get a feel for Rodney Yee’s awesome style and instruction.

If you haven’t tried Yoga yet, go get on the bandwagon. And if Rodney’s Ultimate Power Yoga isn’t part of your own Home Workout Essentials, it’s time to seriously consider it.

Have a fabulous week, you guys. And don’t forget to Yogaaaaa !!!

Comments

1. Thanks! I’ve been back to yoga class and loving it and tried a few DVDs at home from the library and hated those!

2. Lori says:

I have yet to find a yoga DVD that I like. I have never tried Rodney so I will be checking this one out and giving it another go.

3. Amy says:

Thanks for posting this…I woke up with horrible back cramps and thought to myself, “I think I need yoga but I have no idea where to get it!”

-Amy

this is right on time for you! Start with Workout 5 like I did. Those forward bends are really fantastic. Breathing through the stretches is very important, too, but Rodney will lead you through proper breathing to get the most out of your session.

4. Sherry says:

I did my first Pump workout yesterday so I’m a bit sore. Mr. Rodney Yee sounds like a good idea.

I got my PUMP yesterday. Stacked it all 30 pounds just to test it out a few bicep curls. Whoa! This workout is gonna make us soooo sexy, girl!

P.S., happy Yee-ing.

5. Thx Josie! I want to try yoga but can’t afford classes & the gym ones are not at times for me. BTW, did not know about your accident – holy crap!!!! You are amazing!

AND, I want to be where they are shooting that video! :-)

I love my Rodney Yee AM Yoga For YourWeek DVD (also 5 short programs). He did win me over to yoga too! I will check this one out, but it will be hard to beat the “Twists” program.

7. Miz says:

I LOOVE all things rodney as well.
    have a plethora of the Yee dvds!

8. @somerskys says:

HEY THANKYEEE! for the info on the best yoga that yee dusde, anyway gurl i always knew u were already ALL THAT!!

• @somerskys says:

@@somerskys, FINISHING MY COMMENT! I ALWAYS KNEW U WERE ALL THAT! CAUSE OF HOW U CHANGED URSELF BY EXERCISE AND EATING CLEAN EVEN WITH A HUBBY AND 4 CHILD SPAWNS!! BUT NOW I LOOK UP TO U EVEN MORE, CAUSE OF ALL THE PHYSICAL PAIN OF THAT DARN ACCIDENT!! GLAD U MADE IT OUT OF THE PAIN MOSTLY BY DOING YOGA AND I KNOW ITS UR ATTITUDE TOO!! SORRY FOR THE LONG COMMENT NO IM NOT CAUSE I AM SOOOO PROUD OF U!! JOSIE!!!!!!! SO! SO! VERY!!! PROUD!!!!!!!!

9. Dang girl, you are amazing! I’m glad you could get through all that pain. I need some yoga in my life!

10. bossygirl says:

I need to try this DVD..Yoga feels so good to my body after a hard run..((sigh)) thanks for the tip!

11. Monique says:

You rock! I can only make it through about 15 minutes of a Rodney Yee video…he kicks my butt every time lol

12. merri says:

wow! i took yoga for over a year at the gym, before class times switched around and i couldn’t make it anymore. i felt stronger but never liked my teacher that well, so i wasn’t too into it. i’ve had back troubles since i was a kid. pilates (love pilates) has helped a lot but i’m still always aching so maybe i’ll check out this video. maybe it will help my back. hmm.

13. Rebecca says:

Yoga is a real pleasure for body and soul. But it requires dedication and huge physical capacities. To prepare your body for regular trainings and to improve your results the proper nutrition is vital. I am taking Military Grade Nutritionals. These dietary supplements were developed for soldiers, but they are good for everyone, who wants to keep fit. They provide sustainable results and help me improve my shape quickly.

14. thomas says:

WOW !! I love my Rodney Yee AM Yoga For YourWeek DVD
    thomas recently posted..Why Take Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000mg Capsules Every Day ?

15. Jo Friday says:

I just ordered my copy. Can’t wait to try it.