Home Workout #2: Planking Circuit with Cardio Intervals

Hey guys. I hope you didn’t forget that month this is. You’re a Badass, remember? This workout is dedicated to defining your abs AND burning off the fat in your midsection so the definition in your abs can be revealed extra sexy ‘n stuff.

Equipment Needed: “invisible” jump rope (we all have one)

Primarily Targets: Abs, Cardio

THE WORKOUT (after a thorough warm up)

Part 1) Abs: 12 rep straight-arm planking circuit (watch the video demo below):

• 4-count leg raises
  • 4-count air climbers
  • 4-count knee to opposite elbow
  • Jump feet towards hands, stand up, then jump back down into plank position to repeat 12-reps.

Video Demo

Complete this series 3 times with no breaks (if possible), then move onto Part 2.

Part 2) Cardio: 3-minute intervals circuit

• 45 seconds: rope skipping (use your invisible jump rope)
  • 15 seconds: high knee jog

Set your interval timer for 3 rounds of 45-secs/15-secs and give it your all. Engage your core and keep your body tight. No half-assing allowed.

Then take it from the top with Part 1 and complete the entire Workout (Parts 1 & 2) two more times.

• Modifications for planking series: do as many reps as you can and then hold static plank pose for remaining rep count.
  • Modifications for cardio intervals: 45 seconds brisk-paced walk in place; 15 seconds high knees march.

Enjoy your workout!

Comments

1. bossygirl says:

Sigh… I will try this  in the morning..If you don’t hear from me by 9 call the popo!

2. Reinaldo says:

That’s a great ass… er, I mean workout! Yep, great workout… <..>

3. Cassie says:

i am so doing this tomorrow.. i am also traveling this week for work, great workout to do on the road..

4. nylse says:

i just did 3 part 1 and 2 part 2s feels like i ran a mile….

5. Miz says:

doing this today and pretty damn sure I will love…to HATE IT!!! :-)

6. Kat says:

Looks great! I just want to ask real quick; is it 4-4-4-Jump, do you do that 12 times and then repeat two other sets (for a total of 36) and then move on? Or do you to the 4-4-4-Jump three times and repeat (for a total of 9) and then move on? Thanks!

Hey Kat. The “4-4-4-jump” series (12 reps) is repeated for 3 rounds, which does equal 36 total reps before you move onto Part 2 (the jump rope cardio intervals).

7. Love the plank circuit. I’m definitely doing that today!!

8. You are rocking miss Josie!!! I take it you are feeling better!!!! Looking amazing!

chaching! I was looking for a lunchtime quickie workout I could do in my office. This will do nicely girl! Thanks :)

10. Kareen says:

You are so funny! I just started following your blog, and can’t wait to do this no equipment workout tonight. I travel at least 3 days a week and this is perfect for me!

11. Love it.  You gotta love the minimalist workouts that still kick your butt; no equipment required for a great training session.  Haven’t tried yours yet, but will give it a go later in the week.  Right back at you with a bodyweight workout from my gym, see if you like it (http://www.arenafitness.com/?p=3487).  It’s not complicated, but it’s tough.  Aren’t most of the best workouts that way?