Is It Safe To Drink My Own Pee? (The Experiment)

‘Twas around this same time last year that I posed the question, Is It Safe To Drink My Own Pee?

Welp, how can I confess to you that I did in fact see for myself if it was safe. Would you call me crazy? Would you call me Filthy McNasty? Would you change your opinion of me if I did a little pee-pee drinking experiment of my own?

I blame it on the handful of athletes who do it for athletic performance (mostly boxers and MMA fighters) and others who encourage urine therapy in alternative medicine for homeopathic purposes. Urine therapy dates back thousands of years. It’s believed to prevent and cure certain ailments, and even treat external woes, like wound sterilization and calluses. Madonna has been known to piss on her feet to cure her athlete’s foot. This all made me very curious.

As for urea, that’s the chemical compound found in urine that is widely used in cosmetic and pharmaceutical products.

Although I still have a lot of research to do (I’m currently reading through the webpage on Urine Therapy Testimonials with an open mind), I did learn that urine is sterile right out the body. It’s when it comes into contact with bacteria and other outside exposures that it gets all foul and pissy-smelling like a baby’s overdue diaper.

So yes, I did in fact try it. Uh huh. And you know what? It didn’t really taste like anything. It wasn’t even salty. It was just liquid with no real taste. It didn’t gross me out. It was literally only a few fresh drops (maybe two or three at a time) on several different occasions.

These experiments were non-scary enough that I decided if I ever do get some type of major sickness (God forbid) I would, in fact, try urine therapy. I’m VERY big on homeopathic treatments for medicinal purposes because it’s worked for me and my family (I’ve got lots to share on that subject), so I would not rule out pee-drinking in the future, no matter how extreme or taboo it is.

Now lemme get back to my research. I hope you don’t change my name to Miss Pissy now.

Comments

1. lisa says:

lol BLECH!
    thanks for going through this experiment so I dont have too ;P (and probbaly never will)
    but I was always told that. If I got stranded on an island- DONT drink the salt water, and to well…drink the pee! haha
    altho I have diabetes so if I was stranded Id probably be gone before that. womp womp :(

2. No, Josie, please tell me this is a joke?!?!??! Girl, I could never do that. You’re a little crazy…but I love it!

• Josie says:

Yes, woman. I really did it, which I why I had to provide some scientific information on pee-drinking so you wouldn’t think I was totally nuts. Or am I? ;)

• @somerskys says:

@Josie, U R TRUELY PART OF THE LEGUME FAMILY BUT THAT IS WHY WE LOVE U SO MUCH!!!!!!! SILLY, SCIENTIFIC, AND ALL!!!!!!! BEING A SIENTIST I UNDERSTAND THAT, BUT NO WAY, NAH,UH-UN, NEIN, NOPE! NO KINDA WAY WOULD I DO THIS EXPERIMENT NEVAH ;) BUT I LOVE THAT U R ADVENTUROUS ENOUGH SO I CAN LIVE THRU U!!!!!!!!!

3. Cher says:

You’re not nuts… you’re pee-riffic!!

This is also also a trick for surviving in the wilderness to escape dehydration.  Military teaches it too.  It’s sterile too, so there’s no harm.  If you didn’t taste anything, then you have a pretty well balanced diet!!  With anything like this, it’s mind over matter.  I haven’t had the cahonas to try it, but I know others that have done it on a dare and said it wasn’t any big deal.  Not like you’re going to mix your pee in your shakeo’s now!! lol

4. misszippy1 says:

Actually, I’m pretty damned impressed by anyone who will try that! I don’t think I’d have the guts. Interesting that it has been used in homeopathy forever.

5. Todd says:

Shhhhh Did you hear that? It was the sound of stomachs turning around the world. hehehe

Can you drink urine? Sure. Should you drink urine? Is sucking on the tail pipe of a truck a good idea? Nope. That’s where the waste comes out. #1 & #2 are waste. Might as well be eating garbage.

This is one of the reasons that I won’t eat liver – it’s the equivalent of gnawing on your cars air filter.

6. Laura says:

Girl, you are dedicated. But what I REALLY want to see is the Taste Test results from the rest of the Greedies!

7. @somerskys says:

PLEASE DONT MAKE THE URINE DRINKIN A NEW THAT A PROFILE PICTURE , YUCK, STOMACH DOING SOMERSAULTS JUST THINKIN ABOUT IT YUCK A ROO NEE

8. Joe says:

I just puked in my mouth a little bit.

Wait, I wonder if puke is good for you?

9. 444 says:

Joe: Dogs seem to think so. They just love to gobble it up right after it comes out.

YY: I was wondering if Green Giant read your blog before they agreed to pay for you to be their spokesperson of sorts. Better hope they don’t read it now! What’s next? Will Yellow GIant be your next sponsor?

I’m not drinking lemonade at your house, needless to say. :ox

10. angela says:

This is not the type of experiment I expected out of you, and yet I feel like I should have seen it coming. Go and brush your teeth now, please.

11. You are way braver than me!!!! BUT I will keep this in the back of my mind just in case! You are amazing!

12. fran says:

Girl!!!! I can not even THINK about it but DEF let me know what you find out!

13. MizFit says:

damn
    you are your own AJ JACOBS or TIM FERRISS

14. I heard once that taking a fresh warm baby diaper full of pee and applying it to your face is great for acne!

I applaud your willingness to try this…and I find it interesting because I am a big believer in homeopathy…am going to ask my naturopath about it next time I see her :-)

Awesome! I can’t wait to hear what your naturopath thinks. I think I lost a subscriber or two for posting this pee-pee insanity (guess they were offended), but I don’t regret it. =)

I hope you stay healthy! :-)

I think I”ll stick to tea :)

I’ve heard there are health benefits, but I don’t think I could do it…just cuz. I can’t eat liver either…for the same odd internal reasons. Unless I was trapped in the wilderness I just couldn’t do it.

17. Mark Twin says:

Thanks to give your time to this Interesting post and share it to us.

18. merri says:

not something i would try, and yet, you’re not the first person i know who does drink pee. i have at least a couple of real life friends who have drunk each other’s pee during sex (on purpose..its a fetish). i’ve also seen people doing it at the dore alley and folsom street fairs here in SF. Still, nothing i’d try, esp if i was already feeling sick..

19. Rog Law says:

You just took this blog TO THE NEXT LEVEL!

20. ian says:

This DOES work and have been referenced in the BIBLE, So sad that the masses can not think for them selves but onlu do as they are told and lack the will power todo there own research about subjects like these.

STAY YOUNG FOR EVER ……

If only you knew ……

I d rather drink my own pee then drink from the Tap water …..

pps : common sense is not so common these days.

21. areB says:

The middle stream of fresh, warm, morning urine is the most potent, and drinking it mixed with freshly squeezed orange juice is probably the fastest way to accomplish this task, although it is best not to mix urine with other foods or drinks or to take it within an hour before or after eating.

Oral drops of fresh urine can be placed directly under the tongue. Urine therapists suggest their patients start with 5 drops of fresh morning urine on the first day, increase to 5 or 10 drops on the second day, and take 10 drops on the morning of the third day and the same amount that evening before going to bed. Once patients feel comfortable with this therapy, they can gradually increase the amount as they see fit to obtain the results required for their body’s condition. Over time, they can learn to adjust the amount that is needed by observing their reactions to the therapy; their dosage may become as much as one full cup at a time!

Self-urine may be used as eye drops and ear drops, in foot baths and even as effective enemas. Nose drops can help loosen mucus and clear up blocked nasal passages. Gargling with it is helpful for a sore throat, and inhaling it relieves sinus and respiratory congestion. Taken internally, it has a laxative and diuretic effect, as it cleanses the digestive tract.

Dr John Armstrong (author of The Water of Life) emphasises the need to massage with urine. He insists that cures work faster and more effectively in those who are bathed, massaged, rubbed and soaked in their own urine. He highly recommends it for more serious illnesses, since urine is absorbed through the skin and the hormonal and protein-based contents are slowly reabsorbed into the system, bypassing digestive juices that otherwise may have neutralised their potency. In this way, it also works as an excellent cosmetic for moisturising and healing skin blemishes, burns and scar tissue. However, for this usage, it is preferable to use urine that is 4 – 8 days old. The smell of ammonia in the old urine is not toxic but actually beneficial if used topically only, and not taken internally.