Tasting! Who Nu? Nutrition Rich Cookies

whonu Tasting! Who Nu? Nutrition Rich CookiesI am delirious, perplexed, baffled and confused. My eating sensors have malfunctioned, because I don’t get how they did this. Sure, each Who Nu? Nutrition Rich Cookie is infused with vitamins and minerals – I know you can add that stuff to food – but how did they add all that healthy-ness and still get the cookie to look and virtually taste the same as your average crap cookie out there?

Each serving size of Who Nu? (3 cookies) is 150-170 calories and proclaims to contain all this:

• As much fiber as a bowl of oatmeal.
  • As much Calcium and Vitamin D as an 8-ounce glass of milk.
  • As much Vitamin C as a cup of blueberries.
  • As much Iron as a cup of spinach.
  • As much Vitamin E as 2 cups of carrot juice.
  • As much Vitamin B12 as a cup of cottage cheese and fruit.
  • As much Vitamin A as an 8-ounce glass of tomato juice.

Huh? I guess so, then. So you gotta see this for yourself…

Click these links for the Who Nu? nutrition pages: Crispy Chocolate Chip, Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip, Chocolate Creme and Vanilla Creme cookies. And while you’re on those pages, go to the upper right corner to view the “Who Nu? vs. the Other Guys” nutrition comparisons. It’s pretty dang interesting.

I picked up the Chocolate Creme variety (an Oreo knockoff) made with wheat flour. It was just as sweet and chocolatey as any Oreo-ish cookie, but had a creamier filling and lighter cookie texture; very minor differences that I actually preferred over its Oreo counterpart. If you can’t find these in the regular snack aisle, check the health food section of your grocery store. That’s where I found ‘em.

But here’s the deal that cannot be ignored: These cookies still have sugar as the main ingredient and they DO contain partially hydrogenated oils. Dammit!

I’m not telling you to use these cookies to replace your nutrients from fresh fruits and veggies. But if you feel compelled to engage in (moderate) cookie carnage because it’s the designated leap year to let your food trap go insane, the Who Nu? brand is probably your better option instead of an Orr-e-hoe or Chips Oh’Boy cookie.

WHO NU? NOTES

• Price Paid: $2.99 for package of 36 cookies.
  • Serving Size: 3 cookies
  • Calories: 160 (for Chocolate Creme)
  • Fat Calories: 60
  • Total Fat: 7g
  • Sat. Fat: 1.5g
  • Sodium: 150mg
  • Carbs: 25g
  • Fiber: 3g
  • Sugars: 14g
  • Protein: 1g

REACTIONS FROM THE TASTE TEST CREW

Health-hater Husband: I can’t believe it’s what they say it is. It’s really good.

Greedy Kid #1: Mmm, these are good!

Greedy Kid #2: It tastes like an Oreo. It’s got all those vitamins in it?

Greedy Kid #3: I’d rather have the regular cookies.

Greedy Baby: I want more.

Yum UP! to: The WhoNu? store locator. Go check it out.

Yuck Down to: Greedy Baby. She scraped out the cream filling with her nails. Ewww!

View the complete Taste Test Directory and Fast Food Cheat Sheets.

Comments

1. haa! I was just looking into these, already added them to my shop list, from seeing a commercial. happy to know they really are that good. :)

• Josie says:

Hey Kristina. Let me know if you try out any of the other flavor varieties. I wanted to try them all, but I was NOT putting 4 different cookies boxes in my cart. LOL!

2. Carli says:

They’re still rather high in calories and fat, too, in addition to the sugar. :( boo. It’s a shame… I miss Oreos and milk sooooooooooooooooooooo much.

3. Reinaldo says:

This kind of cookies (Oreos and such) are to me like freaking kriptonite. 3 cookies, a serving? Really? HA! But let’s not go there. Oreos take me to a dark, dark place…

4. cher says:

Well, like I said on FB, I saw these and passed them up in the store.  Guess I’ll have to check them out.  $2.99 isn’t too bad for nutrient packed cookies!!

5. Miz says:

Id been very curious and I think for me they are a pass.

I can’t believe that’s a real product name! To me this is an example of someone trying to make something that not’s really good for you seem like it it. It sounds like they grinded up some multivitamins and threw them in the mixer. Like Reinaldo, I’m better off without these in the house. My kids would be like Greedy #3 and shun anything other than Oreos!

7. I think a pass for me too BUT you know me & cookies so if I have cookies, they are not out of a box – I go for the real thing! :-)

8. Interesting but… I’ll pass too. I can just picture myself eating a whole box in one day!

9. Rodzilla says:

I would argue that the Oreo’s are healthier, they don’t contain any hydrogenated oils. I feel it’s especially shitty of a company who is trying to pass themselves off as a “healthy alternative” to use such ingredients.

• Josie says:

Go point, Mr. Zilla. I’m wondering if it’s cheaper for a company to keep the hydrogenated stuff in?? What we need is Oreo make a nutrition cookie now.

10. Emergefit says:

I think I’m just going to mix up a bowl of, oatmeal, milk, blueberries, spinach, carrot juice, cottage cheese and fruit, and tomato juice. Just seems……. simpler.

11. I kinda like these ‘healthier’ but more expensive options of treats.  I hate the hydrogenated goop, but ya know, the ormeos have that too.  The expense is a kinda built in portion controller.

Unlike the first time Mr. Survival had babybelle cow cheese mini-wheels.  He ate the WHOLE bag.  That was while visiting someone.  When he had to pay for the cheeses, he moderated himself… ;)

12. lisa says:

boooooo for hydrogenated oils. these sounded good, but i feel like its the same thing as those sugary cereals that are “heathy” because they have enriched vitamins and fiber. *sigh*
    oh well, thanks for the tasting :)

13. I saw these cookies in Walmart yesterday…was tempted to try them, but they hydrogenated stuff turned me off. I’d rather one good oatmeal raisin cookie with whole ingredients, than 3 manufactured oreo-like cookies. Although this is a good alternative for someone who needs a replacement!

14. Hmmm. Not sure about these. So people should eat them instead of eating Oreos? Why not just take a multi-vitamin! Perhaps they just want to get the folks full of vitamins any way possible.

15. I was glad to stumble on this review for these! I went to their FB page and thought you might be interested to see their response when someone also complained about the hydrogenated oil issue:

Thank you for contacting us with your concerns about our cookies. Because you were interested in the trans fats (TFAs) and the high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) in our products, I wanted to let you know that we have been reformulating our items over the past months. I’m pleased to tell you that we have removed the hydrogenated oils (source of TFAs) from all of the items and the HFCS from all of the items but one. Some of the reformulated items have already begun to ship.

We are committed to providing delicious cookies that are packed with nutrition so that people will have a better choice when choosing to eat indulgent snacks. We appreciate comments like yours that help us constantly improve our products.

Warm regards,

Kayla Watson;

Consumer Affairs

16. carl reed says:

i try them because i found a coupon for a dollar off and i try them and there the best cookie i ever tasted.

17. Lois says:

Thank you for taking out HFCS and making a REAL healthy cookie like home made.

HFCS is very hard on people of all ages. I have a coupon and ancious to try them.

18. gemine says:

My son is very picky about what he eats and I’m always trying to find ways to get him to eat better I would rather give him this for a sweet snack then any other cookie and when he ask for some candy he doesn’t bark when I give him Whonu.
    Believe me it’s better then the fighting and screaming over his  snack choices!

19. Rell says:

The Chocolate Chip cookies (Crispy) are fantastic!!! Better than Chips Ahoy!

20. Kay says:

We’ve only tried the chocolate chip ones and they were pretty good. Cannot compare them to my favs..Famous Amos…but they are more nutritious so why not, and they stayed crunchy in milk. Plus, if the company is now cutting out all the bad stuff…I’m anxious to see how much that changes the taste, if at all.

21. tony.t says:

oh, i love these cookies. just got a few coupons for them at couponcodeworld.com

thanks yum yucky!

22. Willpower says:

Hmmm might be good for little guy but not cool about hydro- stuff. If it doesn’t make me constipated like oreos then I for sure will trade.

I’m doing a write up on another, BETTER cookie even as you posted your comment. Look out for review tomorrow! xo

23. Kisha says:

The vanilla cookies taste so good u forget they are “healthy” for you. A good alternate. I jus would eat them when I have a craving for something sweet or when I want to reward myself for another good workout. Hey 150 calories I earned these!!!! God Bless.

24. Eric says:

There is no fiber in these cookies! Wheat flour is not whole wheat flour, therefore they cannot have fiber. There are cookies on the market that have wholegrains, such as Kashi & Belvita. The FDA should investigate this ASAP!