Reverse Food Journaling: Logging the Un-eaten

There was high potential for a calorie catastrophe this weekend. I was faced with many evil goodies sent direct from Greedy Island with the mission to undo all the efforts of my fat melting exercises.

I took these pictures with the strong urge to nosh until not a crumb remained. This food was real close; only one bite away, but I didn't eat it. I'm guessing I saved myself at least 1,500 calories in one weekend just by saying "no".

Reverse Food Journaling: What I Didn't Eat

6a010536e3fd46970c0120a7c0da5a970b 500wi Reverse Food Journaling: Logging the Un eaten

Peanut Butter M&M's. I almost bought what looked like a 3-pound bag at the BJ's Wholesale Club. Half the bag would be gone by now. Grubbing would have commenced before I even left the store parking lot, but I didn't buy it. I didn't eat it.

6a010536e3fd46970c0120a7c0de6d970b 500wi Reverse Food Journaling: Logging the Un eaten

Coffee Shop Lemon Cake. It's soft. It's moist. It's got icing on it. My teen begged, so I bought it. In times past I would have ate two of these delectable slices all by my lonesome. But while he chowed at the mall water fountain, I walked away and got that lemon cake out of my sight. I didn't eat it.

6a010536e3fd46970c012876c31feb970c 500wi Reverse Food Journaling: Logging the Un eaten

Bakery Fresh Blueberry Muffin. I bought this with uber-evil intentions, but then remembered all the fat melting work I did this weekend that made me sweaty and proud. Consuming this muffin would have made my exercising efforts a real waste of time, so I let somebody else eat the muffin. I didn't eat it.

Victory is mine! Muwahahahaha!

So tell me, what junk food crap did YOU say "no" to this weekend?

Comments

1. Lisa says:

wellll.
    my mom poured herself a HUGE bowl of Reeses pb cup icecream, and went to the garage to put the container away.
    there it was.
    a GIANT chunk of a reeses sitting on top of the bowl of icecream.
    dont do it…
    dont do it…
    and thankfully
    i didn’t!
    i stole the whole bowl and ate it instead :)
    haha
    kidding-
    i did however go upstairs and open my stash of Newman’s Own Organics PB Cups.
    I got to eat 3 of those babies for 180 calories & no trans fats 8)

2. Jessica says:

Mmmm ice cream…I tried to stay away!

3. Jess says:

I said no to coconut cake! But enjoyed every bite ;)
    <3 jess
    xoxo

4. OMG, Josie, my post tomorrow, Monday is about the power of NO! We are on the same wavelength!!!! What did I say no to… wanting to eat that whole gingerbread bagel but only having half of it!
    Congrats to you & NO!!!!!!!

5. Haha, reverse food journaling … love it ; )

6. Sarah says:

I love the idea of reverse journaling. With that being said I didn’t eat the apple cider donut hole samples at the grocery stores. They looked so good :)

7. Sagan says:

I said “no” to popcorn, wine, cookies, and just about everything else I love and hold dear to my heart. This raw food challenge won’t be over soon enough… hehe.
    I LOVE your notion of reverse journaling!

8. Abby says:

peanut mnms are my weakness. so so good! If i ever did reverse food journaling, it wou;d be “spinach, bananas, tomatoes.” i only eat the good stuff!!

9. Marisa says:

I said yes to chocolate and chips this weekend, but I curbed my greedmonster and only had one or two squares of chocolate and a handful of chips.
    I also SUBSTITUTED some stuff instead of just saying outright NO. Like a juicy bunch of sweet grapes for dessert instead of more evil chocolate, homemade (lower cheese, lower fat, wholegrain base) pizza instead of the takeout greasefest and some watermelon skewers to munch on pre-bbq instead of something more calorific.
    So I win, right?

10. genesis says:

my willpower is out the window on weekends. I said yes to all the crap. *hiding in shame*

11. a McDonald’s Ice Cream Cone. Why do I always fall weak in the knees for the swirl?

12. Good for you! Lots to be proud of
    this week! :)

13. MizFit says:

SAME!!!
    husband loves the peanut m&ms at the movies.
    me? Im popcorn.
    lately? Ive been both :) not this weekend though…

14. I said no to Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Chips. I was trapped at home for 3 days during a snow storm and I kept eating two or three chips at a time until I finally tossed out the bag AND removed the garbage bag from my home. Problem solved. Food wasted, but problem solved.

15. I love your way of thinking! I could really cheer myself up with all of the things I could have, but didn’t, eat this weekend.

16. FitMomNow says:

Great pics! I said no to everything too!

17. Oh My Gawd. Lemon cake. I could eat a loaf. That must have been a tough one to turn down. You have willpower of steel. Great job!!!! :)

18. Kimberly Lee says:

I said no to homemade pound cake with ice cream and chocolate sauce, smore’s, and an king size snickers bar.

19. {cher} says:

i said “no” to extra helpings of pasta, and to a Hershey’s Bliss bar. i work at Blockbuster at night for fun money and free movies, so, with all that candy/popcorn/chips staring me in the face all night, there’s PLENTY i say “no” to on a weekly basis.. LOL

20. Tamara says:

This is awesome; I’ve never seen someone do “reverse blogging” before! I wish I could do it too, but yesterday I said “yes” to one too many chocolate squares and fresh buttered bread….

21. This is way too funny! I should give myself more credit for what I haven’t eaten….great post!

22. Good work! Peanut M&Ms are my favorite, (almost) impossible to resist :-)

23. Ha! I like it. I’m always focusing on what I already snacked on…not what I DIDN’T snack on. Nice!

24. I was at a party with tables and tables full of goodies and I said no to most of them! One teensy tiny piece of Nanaimo bar (like the size of my thumb) and it did the trick. Out of habit I also grabbed cheesecake (YUM), but I actually said NO and it went in the garbage. Josie, you must have been sending positive thoughts my way, because rarely can I resist cheesecake! :)

25. Oooh you are awesome for avoiding all them goodies!
    Hmmmm what did I avoid this week….? Oh, well last nite I cooked instead of going out like I wanted to! And I didn’t eat the ice cream my brother brought..I had a drink instead..does that count??

26. amanda says:

I love M&Ms but rarely buy them because I would eat the whole bag (no matter the size!!). Anyway I said no to alcohol this weekend

27. Kelly says:

Awesome! Way to go you!
    I on the other hand made “healthy” oatmeal raisin cookies with shredded carrots, wheat bran and ground flaxseed. They are yummy and NOT low calorie. I ate. And ate again.

28. Just found your blog via FitBloggin… I said no to Mozzarella Sticks and Pizza bites this weekend. Oh, and NO to chips and dip too!

29. Cassie Baker says:

I work in a cupcakery, and I say NO to the frosting! :)

30. Chelsea @ (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) says:

Major high five for your amazing willpower, lady! I LOVE peanut butter M&Ms, so I know that must’ve been hard to resist.
    As for what I didn’t eat this weekend…well there isn’t much of a “didn’t eat pool” to choose from (my mom just HAD to send me a box pf persimmon cookies).
    Your reverse food journaling post has inspired me, though! Today, I will not eat the peanut butter cups that stare me in the face every time I open my fridge.

31. Randi says:

mmm lemon cake with icing!

32. love2eatinpa says:

you go girl!!!!

33. BK says:

Congrats!!!! that’s a big deal!!! I said no to ice cream.. yup my biggest vice.. and it was my favorite flavor

34. Nicole says:

Doughnuts…I made my boyfriend eat them in the car!

35. Josie says:

you’re a bad girl! you’re grounded! or at least an M&M’s time out.

36. Josie says:

ahh yes. because my life is filled with backward-ness?

37. Josie says:

Leave that cone alone! <— I rhyme.

38. Josie says:

Willpower of Steel? it must be the side effects from the Calorie Killer.

39. Josie says:

fresh buttered bread. gimme that!

40. Josie says:

I’m eating SunChips as I read your “no to chips” comment. Ooops.

41. Josie says:

yes yes! punish the boyfriend with excess doughnut noshing.

42. I said no to a second or third piece of chocolate birthday cake. It was tempting but then my 13 year old son snatched it out of my hands and ate the entire thing.

43. Angelia Sims says:

Crap NOTHING. I even ate Lasagna today. This is so depressing makes me want to get eat some chocolate.
    I did a bunch of awards for my 100th post today. You’re a weiner! I mean, winner.
    And your 1,000th commenter packet is packaged. I plan on mailing tonight! Woot!

44. Maxine The Mammouth Mountain Climber says:

Josie, I love this! I think I am “dieting” if I don’t eat the food that I am thinking about eating….I didn’t eat that chocolate I craved after lunch. I must be on a diet. Passed up the cookie at 3pm? Why, I should lose a pound just for thinking about the cookie(or 3) and not eating them! Didn’t buy the gingersnap B&J’s ice cream at the grocery store? Hey, I deserve to lose another pound. In my (unreal) world, not eating what I really really like means I deserve to lose weight. Somehow it doesn’t work that way. Despite hours on the treadmill. And a second helping of brocali.
    Cheers,
    Maxine the Mammouth Mountain Climber

45. Renee says:

Proud of you! And I indulged this weekend but I did it without over indulging. I didn’t gain or lose weight this week so I am proud of myself for making good choices. And that Magic Mojito was delicious!

46. Hey Josie, my name is Mike Bluestone and I am a personal trainer who specializes in weight loss. This is my first time one your site but I will be back because you are too funny. I will always remember you by the woman hanging 6 inches from the ground on a pole in a play ground.
    Anyhow, I have a partial solution to your sugar addiction if you partake in resistance training. Try eating a controlled portion immediately after a high intensity workout. Follow my link for more information on the “Candy Weight Loss Diet”

47. I forgot my link
    FYI I’m adding you to my favorites page on my blog for my clients to view.

Trackbacks

1. [...] you purpose to reverse journal with foods that you turned down, like I did right here awhile back, you’ll be motivated to get things on the list. And when you gaze at this journal of [...]