While suffering through brain block in an attempt to sum up the catastrophe that is Wendy’s Boneless Chicken, the commercial for their Sweet & Spicy Asian variety splathered onto my TV screen.
Bingo! Thanks to TiVo, I rewound the commercial about five times to get a clear take on Wendy’s description of the Sweet & Spicy Asian Boneless Wings I had earlier in the day. (The other supposed “chicken temptation” varieties are Honey BBQ and Bold Buffalo)
Sweet & Spicy Asian: Wendy’s vs. Josie
- Wendy’s says: “The chicken is tender, juicy, and lightly breaded.”
- Josie says: The breading is soggy. Some pieces are slightly tender while others look and taste dry. It’s nothing like the good taste of Wendy’s nuggets.
- Wendy’s says: “The sauce is a mouth watering blend of sweet & spicy.”
- Josie says: NOT! The sauce is nasty. Health-hater husband equates it drowning cheap chicken in packets of McDonald’s sweet & sour nugget sauce.
- Wendy’s says: “Every bite delivers a kick of Asian chiles, real red pepper flakes, and a hint of garlic”
- Josie says: The worse Chinese I ever tasted (at an American buffet) had better Asian flavor…and I tasted zero garlic.
- Wendy’s says: “It’s about as far as it gets from fast food.”
- Josie says: It’s about as close as it gets to “Oh hell no! I’m driving back to Wendy’s to demand a refund!”
To add to the insanity, I’m not certain if I got seven pieces or nine. A few pieces were either giving birth or had a mutant Siamese twin. I don’t have the scoop on Honey BBQ, but judging from some Grub Grade readers who say that Bold Buffalo is a bust, I’m not stepping foot near any of these again.
- Price Paid: $3.99
- 520 calories – Bold Buffalo
- 550 calories – Sweet & Spicy Asian
- 580 calories – Honey BBQ
Reactions from the Taste Test Crew
Health-hater Husband: It’s terrible. I can’t eat anymore. Cook me up some of those Dinosaur Chicken Nuggets from the freezer.
Greedy Kid #2: My entire basketball team ate these while we were on the road.
I kinda like it, but I’d only eat if it somebody else is paying.
Yum UP! to: TiVo.
Yuck Down to: Wasting my money on nastiness. I could’ve bought some Go Wraps instead.
“Cook me up some Dino nuggets, woman!”
“Yes, baby, anything for you”