Microwave popcorn is supposed to be a no-brainer. It could be Extra Butter, Lite Butter, Low Fat, or whatever. They’re all pretty good, just take your pick based on taste and calories. So what is Curves up to and can somebody please tell me why the no-brainer philosophy does not apply to their 90 Calorie Butter Popcorn? It’s terrible in one, two, three…four different ways.
Why So Terrible?
1) Marketing Gimmick: Curves says they use whole grain popcorn. But wait! Aren’t all popcorn kernels whole grain? Duh!
2) Price: I paid $4.99 for the dang box and I want my money back!
3) Package Directions: Regular-sized bags usually pop in less than 3 minutes, so why does Curves instruct the eater to pop up their mini-bag for up to three minutes? After 1:15 seconds my stuff was burnt and stinking up the office. If you don’t carefully watch the microwave and pull out the bag at just the right time, you might possibly be putting out a fire.
4) Taste: I sampled several packages cooked in two different microwaves, but got the same results. Very, very dry with a styrofoam texture. Terrible.
- Price Paid: $4.99 for 10 mini bags
- Calories: 90 for 1 bag (20 for 1 cup)
- Fat Calories: 25
- Sodium: 250mg
- Carbs: 20g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 3g
Yum Up! to: (nothing yummy about this one)
Yuck Down! to: High-priced marketing gimmicks that taste like dried out styrofoam.